Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wall Hangings for Outdoors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wall-hangings-outdoors-t217964.html)

Cybrarian 04-01-2013 06:45 AM

Wall Hangings for Outdoors?

I have a wall on my front porch where I hang commercially made house flags,welcome plaques (like from Joann's/Michaels), metal flat sculpture etc. it has a roof but is not screened in, sun hits the wall at different times of the day depending on the time of year, wall is west facing and I live 5 minutes from the Gulf in Largo, FL. Is it possible to make "outdoor" wall hangings? How would I weatherize the fabric? Can it be protected from sun fading or do I just make sure it is not where the sun would directly hit it? Even without direct sun would fabric fade over time? I'm thinking of seasonal/ holiday type hangings, not something that would hang indefinitely. Thanks in advance for all advice!

Tartan 04-01-2013 07:32 AM

You could look for the same fabric that lawn flags are made from to do a wallhanging?

bigsister63 04-01-2013 07:48 AM

You should be able to waterproof the hanging with a spray. Not sure if that will make it sun fade proof. Or you could make hanging out of outdoor fabric by applicaing it onto other outdoor fabric. Or you could just make sure that you move the hanging out of the sun. Joann's has some nice outdoor fabric in a variety of colors/pattern.

Skittl1321 04-01-2013 07:56 AM

I would use home decor fabric meant to be used outdoors.

Dolphyngyrl 04-01-2013 07:56 AM

I want to say there are UV sprays. I can't remember the names though

NanaCsews2 04-01-2013 08:24 AM

There are several choices of fabrics for wallhangings, banners, and flags. A great source is rockywoods.com. I have no affiliation to them.
You can use outdoor canvas that is typically used for replacing fabrics on patio table umbrellas, cushions, canvas swings, etc. There are tutorials online.
You can use 30D or higher ripstop nylon. This is very similar to the lightweight fabric that 'store' garden flags, etc are made out of. These fabrics do come in a variety of UV coated colors.
You can use 400 Denier High Density Coated Nylon Fabric. This fabric is a heavier weighted fabric than the ripstop, but is perfect for making outdoor flags, banners, and wallhangings.
You can use 160D Cordura Nylon fabric. A lightweight nylon fabric.
Rockywoods offers samples. Click on the link at the bottom of the page.

Cybrarian 04-01-2013 08:39 AM

Thanks for all the great info! NanaCsews2 you are a fount of information, have you made any outdoor flags or wall hangings or is your experience with other items?

GemState 04-01-2013 06:11 PM

I saw a spray at Joann's that was to prevent fading. I have not tried it but it looked interesting!

nabobw 04-02-2013 04:51 AM

I live in PP Fl and painted a broad that seats outside.

bigsister63 04-02-2013 05:06 AM

Another idea is to paint a quilt block on wood and hang it up. It would be like a "barn quilt" on the side of a barn.