Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wall hangings and quilting -less- than the manufacturer's recommendation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wall-hangings-quilting-less-than-manufacturers-recommendation-t262190.html)

ArchaicArcane 03-05-2015 05:54 PM

Wall hangings and quilting -less- than the manufacturer's recommendation

I have a panel that I quilted and plan on using as a curtain/cold barrier in front of the window in my studio. This panel will likely only be washed if it gets really dusty.

I have done some basic quilting on it but there's one section where I'm just mentally blocked and was thinking of leaving it unquilted. It's a right angle triangle area with a long side and a wavy hypotenuse. LOL! At its widest points it's 6" by 15". Do I have to quilt it or should it be OK?

Obviously on the frame it looks stable but I know dangling from the ceiling it's a little different...

thimblebug6000 03-05-2015 06:35 PM

What batting are you using and what is it's recommendations?

ArchaicArcane 03-05-2015 06:47 PM

Holy cow! How did I forget that? It's Hobbs 80/20 Cotton and Poly and the recommendation is no more than 4".

ckcowl 03-05-2015 10:49 PM

The recommendation Is at least every 4", more is OK, less is risky. If the item will be laundered and you have not done the minimum amount of quilting the batting will separate and ball up so there will be areas with no batting and areas with globs of batting. The recommendations are the minimum amount of quilting required. You ( might) be able to get away with less if you use a batting with scrim like warm & natural that allows up to 10" between quilting lines

Mitty 03-06-2015 01:03 AM

Could you just tack it at points in the unquilted section?

Or maybe tack it with one of those decorative stitches (in other words, if the stitch is a flower, just put a single flower at various points) if your machine has them and that wouldn't ruin the look you want?

Barb in Louisiana 03-06-2015 01:35 AM

Could we see a picture? I'm not good with ideas without seeing what the item looks like and sometimes, even the fabric will make a difference.

ManiacQuilter2 03-06-2015 06:58 AM

I wish you would be able to post a picture. It makes things easier to envision the quilt then with a description.

mckwilter 03-06-2015 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What about quilting it with a series of lower case "L"s. Start at the smallest point and just FMQ the "L" loops, making them longer each time to reach the side opposite the right angle. Or start at the right angle and just to straight lines across to the long side spaced at whatever intervals. I did this with the inner circles of my American Beauty. I don't know if you'll be able to see the quilting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]512686[/ATTACH]

ArchaicArcane 03-06-2015 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ckcowl - The option to change the batting isn't there, so that's why I was hoping if it wasn't intended to be washed or handled much it might be OK but it occurs to me from your statement that yes, there are situations where it will have to be washed. Thanks for that.

Barb in Louisiana and ManiacQuilter2 - Yes, I'm sorry, I should have posted a pic. I thought the question was generic but here it is. It's the corners giving me grief. I've quilted one of the corners 3 times and ripped it out 3 times. :( I tried outlining the flourish in brown and in beige but I didn't like it - I think I was too unsteady that day. I tried feathering it, I didn't like where it went over the flourish. I tried feathering around it.... didn't like it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]512714[/ATTACH]

mckwilter - your NYB is fabulous! I love that pattern but it terrifies me to try it. :) Your suggestion of "simpler" definitely has merit.... hmmm...

mckwilter 03-10-2015 12:00 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I love NYBs, and they are about the only PP I do anymore. I keep looking at the Judy Neimeyer quilts, but haven't committed. I have that same panel in teal. I like the idea of making it into a window covering. I don't think my suggestions will work on it, as I was envisioning something different, but I'm sure you'll decide on something lovely.