Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wall organizers & using your "good" machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wall-organizers-using-your-%22good%22-machine-t15124.html)

Barbm 01-07-2009 06:52 AM

I want to make a wall organizer to hold my rulers and rotary cutters. Planning on making it with large blocks of color and clear plastic (like a table cloth- stuff from Wal-Mart) for the pockets. What machine should I sew this on? I'm so totally in love with my Juki, but don't want to hurt it if this shouldn't be sewn with it.

Or should I skip the plastic and use fabric? I took over son's room and am trying to make my surroundings look like a sewing room rather than a bedroom. Any pointers?

Thanks for your help!

Barb

retrogirl02 01-07-2009 08:07 AM

Afraid I can't help you about making your own organizer. I have a shoe rack made of plastic and it looks like wide stitches on plastic with binding but I just bought mine. I hang my rulers by the hole in each of them. I do have a few small ones that didn't have a hole so I threw them in an Omnigrid mesh pack because I don't really use them that often. One of the fantastic board members told me about 3M clips and that's what I use to hang them with. If you're interested, I'll dig out the acrylic/hook pix.

Prism99 01-07-2009 02:19 PM

I don't think sewing through plastic would hurt your machine at all. However, you would probably want to use a large needle, heavy thread, and a long stitch length.

The plastic would probably want to stick to the bottom of your presser foot too, so you would want to either line each side of the stitch length with paper or just place a piece of tissue on top of your sewing line. Paper will prevent the plastic from sticking.

Rose Marie 01-07-2009 02:38 PM

I bought a peg board at Home Depot, cheap, and the hooks that go in it.
It works great.
I have all my rulers with holes on it and I hang my rotary cutters and scissors and rolls of tape etc.
I use a letter holder for my small rulers with no holes in them. I have a pencil cup for small things and also small plastic bins for odds and ends.
I have two stacked small 3 drawer units for patterns, chalk, tracing pens etc.
Not much money and it all works very well.

farscapegal 01-07-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I bought a peg board at Home Depot, cheap, and the hooks that go in it.
It works great.
I have all my rulers with holes on it and I hang my rotary cutters and scissors and rolls of tape etc.
I use a letter holder for my small rulers with no holes in them. I have a pencil cup for small things and also small plastic bins for odds and ends.
I have two stacked small 3 drawer units for patterns, chalk, tracing pens etc.
Not much money and it all works very well.

That is what I did. It holds tons of things.

Sybil

GailG 01-07-2009 06:54 PM

I found this mesh large panel with 21 deep double pockets that hangs behind the door. It's a great way to keep everything organized and close at hand. I don't remember now what the original intent was for the organizer (perhaps for shoes or something), but it works great for tools and supplies.

Also, as a teacher for 33 years, I accumulated lots of containers, mugs, baskets, you name it. I have re-purposed them and use a lot of those things to keep my supplies. As I sew I see these things and think about the kids that gave them to me. Some of the items have the children's name written under them. I have also used things from days gone by and recycled them (box purses from the days of decoupage, basket purses, my children's old lunch kits -- great for holding spools of thread, small scraps. I just need a larger room to keep all of this stuff in.

Mary L 01-07-2009 07:07 PM

to sew plastic you need a nylon pressure foot or paper or the foot will stick

the paper is a pain to remove . I got my nylon foot many years ago at joAnn's . i don't know if they still have them

something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Crafts/Sewi...-192178763.htm

Billie G 01-07-2009 08:54 PM

When I make my pie hats- I use a teflon foot-lg needle (possibly denim/jeans type) & tissue paper. tissue works a lot better than paper towels. & it also dissolves better.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!Plastic is not the easiest to sew on, but it is possible. & doesn't hurt my old Singer at all!!

gcathie 01-07-2009 09:26 PM

my hubby made me several wood things that my rullers slide into and then I have a big nail on the wall and also I bought a thing that hangs that is a round circle but haven't used that yet.....gues what I'm saying is go with what works for you...then you'll be happy with that..:-) good luck

sewnsewer2 01-08-2009 03:57 AM

I agree with the longer stitches, because I once made something with the regular stitch of a 2 and the darn plastic ripped off.

If you have a plastic foot with a roller, it shouldn't stick to the plastic.