Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wallgreen's for quilting supplies...Who knew???? Thimble...Yes or No (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wallgreens-quilting-supplies-who-knew-thimble-yes-no-t137911.html)

BettyB 07-16-2011 12:12 PM

I use pretty colored electrical tape and tape my thimble on. It stays good for a long time. A large is too big and a medium is too small, so this works really good for me.

humbird 07-16-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BettyB
I use pretty colored electrical tape and tape my thimble on. It stays good for a long time. A large is too big and a medium is too small, so this works really good for me.

I also tape my metel thimble on. Different times of the day makes my finger larger or smaller. What I like even better is to cut the end of a finger off a rubber glove. Usually the "little" finger and the next size larger. I stick an oval of leather inside and slip it on my finger, making sure the leather is in the correct place. I don't use the end of my finger to push the needle, but the side. This works very well for me.

Momo 07-16-2011 01:32 PM

I find it difficult to keep a thimble on. A few years back my husband cut off a finger. Now each new pair if gloves he gets, I have to cut that finger of the glove. On the heavier ones, I have kept the cut off finger and tried using it as a thimble. Actually, I have a better time of using these than store bought thimbles.

JoanneS 07-16-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Looked at Hobby & Jo-Ann's for the finger cots that Sharon Schamber uses in her binding video. No luck at either store. Jo-Ann's has them available on line...however, I don't need to order anything else. Called my LQS and they don't have them either. So...stopped at Wallgreen't and purchased the finger cots in the band-aid section. They work perfectly.

Also..is using a thimble kind of like an acquired taste? I have purchased 3 thimbles and end up removing them because I just can't sew with one. One that I purchased today falls off so what use is that? Any suggestion on thimbles...my finger is getting sore and I only have one side of the quilt stitched. I didn't want to machine stitch this one because I wanted to try the ladder stitch.

I use a finger cot on the finger INSIDE the thimble to help hold it on. I have small fingers, and the smallest thimble isn't small enough for me - but the fc helps. imes I resort to taping it on, because on some days the FC doesn't help.

Jeandrig 07-16-2011 01:41 PM

My fingers are too crooked for thimbles, so I use the little stick on pads on my thimble finger. You can remove and use over and over, they're great, I couldn't quilt without them.

Jeandrig 07-16-2011 01:41 PM

My fingers are too crooked for thimbles, so I use the little stick on pads on my thimble finger. You can remove and use over and over, they're great, I couldn't quilt without them.

mshawii 07-16-2011 02:51 PM

I use the pink one that is backless, and adjustable. It doesn't fall off and if it is loose, I wet my finger( stuck in my mouth) and the moisture helps keep it on. Jan

grandma Janice 07-16-2011 03:17 PM

My son-in-law thought it was funny when I said I have 3 different size thimbles. My fingers tend to swell when I have a bad arthritis day and some days they seem to be thinner. therefore I keep all three close and I try them on to see which one I use today...lol I can't sew without one.

LivelyLady 07-16-2011 03:21 PM

Put a little Silly Putty in the thimble and it'll mold around your finger and keep the thimble on :-D

GGquilts 07-16-2011 03:43 PM

I like to cut the tips off of a pair of old leather gloves, right now I am using the finger tip of a rubberized cotton glove, works for me.