Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walmart Again???????????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-again-t168252.html)

MaggieBB 11-14-2011 04:20 PM

walmart Again????????????

Learning to fmq has been a real struggle for me, but haven't given up. today I went to local walmart to see if I co uldfind a teflon oven liner,They had one,so I'm going to use double sided sticky tape to hold it in place. I checked on-line for one it would have been close to $20 with postage and taxes, this one came to a little over $11 sure hope it works, one thing tho it is black, not the prettiest color but I can live with that.I practiced some this morning and it seems to be getting easier, guess every sewing machine has its quirks and I may have a few of my own. LOL

vrscott 11-14-2011 04:33 PM

Hey let me know how it works. I finally bought a free motion foot but have yet to try FMQ. I'm a little nervous.

JUNEC 11-14-2011 04:35 PM

I am also interested to see how it works - please post pictures - lots of pics -good luck

QuiltnNan 11-14-2011 04:46 PM

thanks for the great suggestion.

patiese1 11-14-2011 05:17 PM

Im confused..... What does an oven liner and fmq have in common? Im new to the whole quilting thing so when you all are done laughing at my innocence( LOL) I really want to know. Thanks

Vicki W 11-14-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by patiese1 (Post 4680306)
Im confused..... What does an oven liner and fmq have in common? Im new to the whole quilting thing so when you all are done laughing at my innocence( LOL) I really want to know. Thanks

The oven liner is tefilon coated and is used to make the FMQ area easy to slide over. There is a product available called a slider that the liner are like

sewbeadit 11-14-2011 05:28 PM

Patiese1, the oven liner makes it slicker so it slides under the foot and on top of the machine bed easier so you get the free motion better, hope that helps a bit.

martha atha 11-14-2011 05:57 PM

I recently took a machine quilting class. The teacher said you could use Tacky Finger (which is glicerin). You could also use gloves (like garden gloves), just cut the finger tips off. The main thing is whatever feels best for you, use it. Their are also rubber finger tips that can be purchased at an office supply store. Hope this helps

MarthaAtha
Lawrenceville, Georgia

MaggieBB 11-14-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by martha atha (Post 4680446)
I recently took a machine quilting class. The teacher said you could use Tacky Finger (which is glicerin). You could also use gloves (like garden gloves), just cut the finger tips off. The main thing is whatever feels best for you, use it. Their are also rubber finger tips that can be purchased at an office supply store. Hope this helps

MarthaAtha
Lawrenceville, Georgia

I tried the thing with gloves and my hands were wringing wet after about 15 min, so i got some rubber gloves and used just the fingers, that didnt work for me eather, I think this just a process where each of us has to work through this stuff to get where we are comfortable.

Stitchnripper 11-14-2011 07:15 PM

I have tried all the gloves, gardening, rubber tips, rubber gloves, rubber glove finger tips (cut from the gloves) Fons & Porter gloves, but I like Machingers the best. I used the supreme slider for a while and then forgot to put it on the machine and didn't notice a difference with the fmq. I think the best advice I've gotten is to practice, practice, practice, and then practice more. I'm still making progress.