Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walmart...again (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-again-t93703.html)

granky 01-25-2011 07:57 AM

I was told yesterday by one of the clerks at our Walmart that the Fabric Department is going to be replaced by a ‘party’ section. This is not news to most of us since we have witnessed this happening in other stores. The question is…why? I’m thinking there is only one reason. Instead of looking at how much income can be generated with the fabric, they are only looking at how much can be saved by not having a department that has to have real live people in it. Apparently Walmart wants only stockers and check-out personnel, and that’s too bad. The company goes out of it’s way to make the customers feel that they are important when they really aren’t. What is important is the ‘bottom line’, period.

Raggiemom 01-25-2011 08:00 AM

I never see anyone actually buying stuff from the party section!

granky 01-25-2011 08:05 AM

True...but there doesn't have to be a clerk there to help whoever wants that one thing, either!

Dingle 01-25-2011 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by granky
I was told yesterday by one of the clerks at our Walmart that the Fabric Department is going to be replaced by a ‘party’ section. This is not news to most of us since we have witnessed this happening in other stores. The question is…why? I’m thinking there is only one reason. Instead of looking at how much income can be generated with the fabric, they are only looking at how much can be saved by not having a department that has to have real live people in it. Apparently Walmart wants only stockers and check-out personnel, and that’s too bad. The company goes out of it’s way to make the customers feel that they are important when they really aren’t. What is important is the ‘bottom line’, period.

Your right. That IS what WM wants. The more service areas they can get rid of the less people they need. There is talk of getting rid of the paint mixer too. They are talking about getting in pre-mixed paint. Whatever color is on the can is what you get. No custom colors. This cuts down on employees. Anyone working a service area gets paid a little more then the regular sales floor employee.

luvspaper 01-25-2011 08:58 AM

And it costs more than just the employee's salary. The cost of an employee is often 20-30% more just because of taxes and insurance that the employer must provide (payroll and workers compensation). So even a minimum wage employee will cost close to $10 per hour.

And service areas generally require more specialized training. You don't want the fabric employee to mis-cut too much fabric or over-cut, etc. You don't want the paint employee to mis-mix the paint, etc.

Unless those departments are making enough to support those costs, then it is a good business move by Walmart. Not one that I like, but I do understand from a purely business standpoint.

sewmuchmore 01-25-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper
And it costs more than just the employee's salary. The cost of an employee is often 20-30% more just because of taxes and insurance that the employer must provide (payroll and workers compensation). So even a minimum wage employee will cost close to $10 per hour.

And service areas generally require more specialized training. You don't want the fabric employee to mis-cut too much fabric or over-cut, etc. You don't want the paint employee to mis-mix the paint, etc.

Unless those departments are making enough to support those costs, then it is a good business move by Walmart. Not one that I like, but I do understand from a purely business standpoint.

Well said, You gave us some facts we often over look. Thank you , I think we all need to be a little more understqanding or at lease try to look at it from their veiw point.

quiltlonger 01-25-2011 09:32 AM

But they should of thought of that before they put our local fabric shops out of business now where do we go???

BellaBoo 01-25-2011 09:34 AM

Everyone knows the Everything for a $1 has the best buys on party supplies. I never see anyone in the party section at our Walmart. Same with the artificial flower section. It's always a mess and no one is ever in that aisle.

Panther Creek Quilting 01-25-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
But they should of thought of that before they put our local fabric shops out of business now where do we go???

A very good point! But I do think that as Walmart discontinues their fabrics, that those local shops will pop back up and I like the thought of spending locally more than spending at Walmart!

luvspaper 01-25-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting

Originally Posted by quiltlonger

A very good point! But I do think that as Walmart discontinues their fabrics, that those local shops will pop back up and I like the thought of spending locally more than spending at Walmart!

I agree with the fact that if Walmart isn't fulfilling the desire of the market that someone else will...either a local shop OR an online shop.