Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walmart Fabric Not so good (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-fabric-not-so-good-t48352.html)

Deborah12687 06-04-2010 09:37 AM

I just wanted to give you a heads up on some of wallmart fabric. I purchased a bunch of fabric to make some simple things to sell at the flea market and lucky I washed each piece seperate as all the fabric I purchased bled real bad. I have not gotten fabric that bleeds like that in ages! Now I have to rewash it in vinegar to stop the bleeding.

patricej 06-04-2010 09:44 AM

would you be kind enough to show us photos, please?

that way, those who shop regularly at their local walmarts will know which ones to either avoid or to prewash a few times.

and i can check my own stash in a panic. :lol:

Deborah12687 06-04-2010 10:03 AM

I will post the pictures as soon as the fabric is dried.

seamstress 06-04-2010 10:10 AM

I buy some fabric from Walmart. I will watch for pics.

bearisgray 06-04-2010 10:15 AM

The only one I bought at WalMart that was HORRIBLE was a Halloween fabric available one or two seasons ago.

It was bright tangerine background with rows of black silhouettes - buildings, I think. It was a cute print, too.

That doggone stuff was a bleeder. Changed water about 20 times on it and the water still was like I was making orange Kool-aid.

I advised the nearest WalMart about it - the clerk took it off the shelf. I came back a few days ago - it was BACK on the shelf. Could hardly believe it.

I did take it back to the WalMart I purchased it at - much to my surprise, they did take it back. I considered it defective when the 8 other Halloween fabrics I purchased then had good manners. (I did have my receipt) It did get a little sticky, because by then the Halloween fabrics were on clearance, and the codes had changed.

I, too, would like to see pictures of the fabrics you had problems with.

In general, I've had good success with the ones I've purchased and been pleased with them.

littlehud 06-04-2010 10:35 AM

I think you need to be careful wherever you buy fabric. I've had LQS fabric bleed and Walmart fabric bleed. At Walmart I would check the fabric too because some was just not as nice as others. Sorry about your fabrics. That's a pain.

quiltluvr 06-04-2010 11:02 AM

I'm a firm believer in prewashing period. Doesn't matter where you get the fab, LQS, chain stores, Goodwill, donated solely for that purpose. I'd be devastated to ruin a quilt by skipping that step. (Not intending to infringe on whether anyone else does or doesn't prewash. There's no right or wrong.)

bearisgray 06-04-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
I'm a firm believer in prewashing period. Doesn't matter where you get the fab, LQS, chain stores, Goodwill, donated solely for that purpose. I'd be devastated to ruin a quilt by skipping that step. (Not intending to infringe on whether anyone else does or doesn't prewash. There's no right or wrong.)

I agree.

Deborah12687 06-04-2010 12:08 PM

These are the fabrics from wall mart that bled.

bearisgray 06-04-2010 12:13 PM

Unable to open.