Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walmart find! So excited! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-find-so-excited-t54642.html)

littlesurfer 07-17-2010 08:03 AM

My Walmart in Palm Coast, Fl. still has a fabric department and had the 5 yard bolts of fabric for $5. It wasn't 100% cotton, but there was still some really pretty fabric and for $1 per yard I can always find a use for it.

penski 07-17-2010 09:45 AM

hmmmmm i was at my walmart yesterday and i didnt see anything like that, i saw a lot for 2.44 a yard, where they in a special place?

littlesurfer 07-17-2010 10:06 AM

They were located in the aisle opposite the fabric dept.

garysgal 07-17-2010 10:20 AM

Here is something we could try but don't know if there are enough sewers/quilters to do it, or if it would even make an impact on Walmart.
on a certain day we all mail an empty envelope to the walmart head office and on the back of it write that this envelope represents a sewing customer that wants fabric back/stay at our local walmart. if it doesn't we won't shop there anymore.
or we could all call the home office on a certain day and that would crash their phone lines & get their attention (if enough called). we could all email on a certain day-again it would tie up their email dept & get their attention. I think that would work the best (save a stamp, be more convienent, etc).
but no matter what we chose to do, there has to be tons of us or I doubt they would pay any attention.

DoxieMom 07-17-2010 10:24 AM

I'm on vacation and checked out the WM in Kingston, NY today. They still have a fabric department, but I couldn't find anything good on sale. Also browsed the local Michaels. They did have FQs and FQ bundles on sale that I liked. Good thing I paid attention at check-out thought. The bundles rang up at $6.99, not $3.49 as marked. They were nice enough about correcting it, but I hate having to be so vigilant.

penski 07-17-2010 10:39 AM

thank you i will check it out tonight

Granny B 07-17-2010 11:02 AM

They've taken all the fabric out of the WMs here. I called the 800 number and the customer service guy I spoke with said that if they got enough complaints they would consider reopening the departments. Yeah, right! They've probably already had a number of calls like mine.

fancifrock 07-17-2010 03:34 PM

Neither of the 2 WalMarts around here have any fabric.

squeakie 07-17-2010 07:02 PM

can't ever find anything special at our wally worlds around here either!!

garysgal 07-17-2010 08:33 PM

So, I went to our local walmart tonight and asked the lady in the fabric dept (that I have come to know well) about the $5 bolts of fabric and she said she has never heard of it and doesn't know why walmart would do something like that. I asked if it was possible that it was the walmarts that were closing the fabric dept and she said it might be, but that the head office told all of them that the fabric dept in this walmart was staying. I noticed lots of new bolts of fabric and they are now carrying pillowcase kits for $8.