Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walmart will continue to sell fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmart-will-continue-sell-fabric-t89854.html)

Ann63 01-12-2011 09:49 AM

I just left Walmart on Zebulon Rd in Macon, Georgia. The manager said they told her they will continue to sell fabric after the remodel. She had marked down older fabrics that had been on the wall forever. She said they have gotten new fabrics in so they are changing out the regular fabrics on the wall. I noticed Saturday when I went to the Perry, Georgia store they also had marked down fabrics and had gotten some new fabrics for their wall. The manager wasn't working so I could not ask her if they were keeping their fabric as well. I wish we had a section for Walmart fabrics since this is such a hot topic for a lot of us.

jamh 01-12-2011 09:56 AM

YAY!! I live in cordele ga about an hour from macon! I will have to go check it out! My daughter will be having surgery at Mancon Medical Center Feb 1! So maybe when we come for pre opt i can also go shopping!! :) :)

amma 01-12-2011 09:58 AM

I love to hear about this happening :D:D:D

kclausing 01-12-2011 10:00 AM

You can add this as a virtual section...

How to add threads to virtual sections

At the top-left corner of each thread there is a link called "Add To Virtual Section". (Or it may say 'Add to Topic list')

Once you click on that link, you'll see a list of virtual sections. Clicking on a title of a virtual section will add the thread to the respective section.

tyoung 01-12-2011 10:03 AM

In Missouri, several Walmart stores went up for remodel. Each one, after the remodel, discontinued selling fabric on the bolt. Instead, they sold fat quarters, jellies, and units with 1 to 2 yards. Their selection and quality of the fabrics went down. They even had "kits" so you could make crafty items including quilts. The thread selection was limited, about 2/3 of the original stand. It was disappointing to see it all go. I noticed yesterday, they are selling 5 yd. bolts of some fabric in our store again. It is cheap, and not even cotton!
I hope this doesn't happen to your store. Luckily, there are quilt shops in the area who charge reasonable prices. Up in the city, fabric goes for around $10 a yard. At that price, I would run out of fabric quickly!

new2quilt 01-12-2011 10:13 AM

Live in SC. All the Walmarts here that I have visited in our state discontinued fabric over a year ago. Sad. Their fabric was resonably priced....and in our small town it is 1 1/2 hrs to a bigger city.
Thanks for sharing info.
Chris

Granna of 5 01-12-2011 10:20 AM

Our Wal mart discontinued fabric about a year ago, went with a small area with thread and a few notions. I went last month to purchase batting and they have discontinued all sewing, nothing is available here. I have to travel 35 miles or buy on line. We do have LQS but w/limited selections and higher prices.

grann of 6 01-12-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by tyoung
In Missouri, several Walmart stores went up for remodel. Each one, after the remodel, discontinued selling fabric on the bolt. Instead, they sold fat quarters, jellies, and units with 1 to 2 yards. Their selection and quality of the fabrics went down. They even had "kits" so you could make crafty items including quilts. The thread selection was limited, about 2/3 of the original stand. It was disappointing to see it all go. I noticed yesterday, they are selling 5 yd. bolts of some fabric in our store again. It is cheap, and not even cotton!
I hope this doesn't happen to your store. Luckily, there are quilt shops in the area who charge reasonable prices. Up in the city, fabric goes for around $10 a yard. At that price, I would run out of fabric quickly!

Same with my store near me. I wouldn't even call it "fabric". It is all very poor quality. I bought a piece of broadcloth for a tote bag lining there only because it matched the outer fabric I was using perfectly. For a tote bag it was fine but I sure wouldn't use if for a quilt, very stiff and undrapeable.

susiequilt 01-12-2011 10:24 AM

I was just in my Walmarts a little while ago and had to walk thru the fabric section.
They have more fabric than they have ever had.
The best cotton is now $5.44 a yard and it is nice.
Clerk still says it is going in 2012 but that is subject to change I'm sure.

Didn't buy any!

Sassylass 01-12-2011 10:26 AM

The Wallmarts near me have also stopped selling fabric buy the bolt. :( They did have some nice ones too!
sass