Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WalMart's Decison to Discontinue Carrying Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walmarts-decison-discontinue-carrying-fabric-t66159.html)

missionslady 09-22-2010 06:49 AM

I know that there has been a lot of discussion regarding WalMart phasing out fabrics. Recently someone posted that they heard they may bring back fabrics. I decided to e-mail the company to see if this is true, and it is not. They do not plan to bring back fabric on the bolt; their new craft centers will carry fat quarters and notions for quilters. I then contacted the corporate office expressing how their their decision to phase out full service fabric departments will hinder our source of finding quality, affordable fabric to make charity quilts. I received a response saying that they were in the process of phasing out fabric departments and replacing it with a larger craft section they call 'Celebration Life' which is items for birthdays, weddings, etc.

WalMart takes much pride in what it does for the community. I think if many of us would contact the company expressing in a kind but firm manner what a hardship this will be to quilters across the United States who make quilts for charities, it may make a difference. To contact their headquarters, go to WalMart.com.At the bottom of the page in little print you will find several columns. Look at the one with the title--help. Under this heading click on 'contact us.' This will take you to a new page with two boxes. The second box has the heading: WalMart Stores. One of the options under that heading is to contact WalMart Corporate Headquarters. Click this and it will provide you a space to write your comments. Hopefully if they hear from enough of us across the country, they will take us seriously and reconsider their decision to cut or reduce fabric to focus instead on "Life's Celebrations!" I plan to share this information with my local guild as well. At least we can give it our best try!

Sadiemae 09-22-2010 06:52 AM

People have tried, and tried, and tried, and tried!

missionslady 09-22-2010 06:54 AM

I know, but I'm hoping that coming at it from the angle of helping charities will make a difference. I appealed to the company that if not for us who quilt, at least would they reconsider for the sake of the charities we help.

CoyoteQuilts 09-22-2010 06:56 AM

Sad to say, this probably won't work. There have been several petitions that have thousands of name on, both on the net and in stores and they have not made a difference with corporate Wal-Mart.

I stopped buying most of my fabrics there a couple years ago and started buying from sales online and the sale section of my LQS. The quality is better with comparable pricing.

Good luck to all that need their Wal-Mart fabric department getting them to understand.

missionslady 09-22-2010 07:04 AM

I have signed more than one petition over the years for WalMart to bring back fabric. I guess the thing that disturbs me most is how WalMart says they are all about the community. Even in the reply I received from them, they made this statement. Yet when I told them that the quilts we make would help the community, and proceeded to list a number of the charities. They were silent on this.

I've begun trying to purchase my fabric for charity quilts on the clearance table at my LQS and as you said, on line. But for many women living in smaller towns, WalMart was their only source of fabric. When you order on line, you have to pay shipping unless you can catch a deal when they offer it free.

mosquitosewgirl 09-22-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
People have tried, and tried, and tried, and tried!

And, we are going to keep on trying until we succeed.

missionslady 09-22-2010 07:17 AM

I'm not a rebel rouser, and usually don't get involved in this type of thing. But I really feel passionate about this. It is simply not fair to say you are all about the community, then by their actions cut the source of fabric for thousands upon thousands of women living in smaller towns, and also hinder the main source of fabrics for making quilts for charities. When making gifts and heirlooms, I always go to my local quilt store and sometimes buy on line. But I belong to several quilting groups all of which make charity quilts, and this has really impacted us and what we can do. I don't ever want to stop trying to get WalMart to reverse this decision, because I know it is the right thing to do---for the community!!!

sewmuchmore 09-22-2010 07:18 AM

Sorry, but you will not change their minds. It all comes down to $$$$$.

missionslady 09-22-2010 07:25 AM

That is the real truth. It is not about the community at all as they would say. So very sad. But I will continue to try to keep this matter before them, because I know it is right.

dglvr 09-22-2010 07:29 AM

Have you noticed since Walmart has been phasing out fabrics the prices at JoAnns went way up. Unbelieveable. I went to JoAnns one day and the same fabric at the nearby fabric store was cheaper. :shock: I went to the new JoAnns in Spokane and the fabric department has shrunk to other crafties. Whats up with that? :?