Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walnut shells for pincushions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walnut-shells-pincushions-t294289.html)

cashs_mom 01-24-2018 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 7989486)
I've made multiple pin cushions with crushed walnut shells. Never thought about allergies. Got them at the pet store. Made a bag from poly lining and filled it with the shells. Then constructed another bag from pretty fabric and put the lining bag inside it. Then I glued it to a base that was also covered in the pretty fabric. Only problem has been the glue (E6000), one person reacted to its fumes.

I never thought about the allergies. I wonder if the shells cause allergic reactions or only the meat?

longlake 01-24-2018 07:15 PM

I ran across some bags at a BARGAIN HUNT, they were much cheaper there. What they carry in their stores is pretty sporadic.

Mariposa 01-24-2018 09:54 PM

red ~ the crushed walnut shells are generally used for lizard bedding, and you get a good size bag for a few bucks.
and they don't absorb moisture. Hope you are able to find some, and make fun pin cushions! :)

FabQuilter 01-25-2018 03:36 AM

My favorite pin cushion stuffing is crushed walnut shells
I’ve also used saw dust./ wood shavings Asked for some at Home Depot, they gave me a bag full.

SusieQOH 01-25-2018 04:51 AM

I haven't found a pincushion that kept my pins sharp ! If they work let us know. I just replaced a lot of mine that were dull.

redstilettos 01-25-2018 05:30 AM

I knew you ladies would come through.

Lizard bedding. For pin cushions. Who knew!? LOL

I'm going to stop on my way home from work tonight and see what the pet store has. If not, I'll order from Amazon and have it delivered.

Good point on disclosing the walnuts for those with a nut allergy. I have heard some people having them bad enough that even peanut dust puts them in a dither. So....I'll still use this, but will put a note by the table with a little warning.

One more question: is it fine enough that I need to make a bag for it for inside the pin cushion, or can I just fill the pincushion?

I love the idea of giving some away at the guild meetings....if the bags are that big, I'd have plenty to use and give away at the same time. I bet the ladies would love it!

Thanks!!

Geri B 01-25-2018 05:53 AM

Wife made a few pincushion from a pattern in a mag awhile back, but I used sheep sheared wool from our county fair..I asked the owners what mere shearing and got a good amount. I didn't card it, just stuffed in tightly.....the lanolin in the wool is good for needles.- so I was told a long time ago...don't know if true, but I use my wool cushions. I have also seen rounds of felted, colored wool at either Michaels or hobby lobby being sold as pin cushions, so I guess there is some truth to it..... What are the tomato cushions stuffed with? And the little strawberry hanging from it?

Homespun 01-25-2018 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7989785)
Wife made a few pincushion from a pattern in a mag awhile back, but I used sheep sheared wool from our county fair..I asked the owners what mere shearing and got a good amount. I didn't card it, just stuffed in tightly.....the lanolin in the wool is good for needles.- so I was told a long time ago...don't know if true, but I use my wool cushions. I have also seen rounds of felted, colored wool at either Michaels or hobby lobby being sold as pin cushions, so I guess there is some truth to it..... What are the tomato cushions stuffed with? And the little strawberry hanging from it?

The older tomatoes were filled with sawdust and the strawberry with iron filings (to sharpen). I have made pincushions with leftover batting. I made some with the bag for your scraps and threads with cat litter.

maryb119 01-25-2018 06:14 AM

I have used walnut shells for pin cushions and like it. I think you can get them cheaper at a pet store.

nativetexan 01-25-2018 06:57 AM

I can't remember what it cost but i got a bag of "cat litter" Blue Mountain from Petco and made pin cushions. it is walnut based and was recommended by quilters.