Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/want-buy-sewing-machine-any-advice-t239590.html)

kimnkell 01-25-2014 04:08 AM

Want to buy a sewing machine.. any advice ?

Hello,
I am looking to buy a new or used sewing machine... I have no idea what I want or anything about the newer machines.. I started out on a brother which I totally hated and I have been using an old white cabinet sewing machine for years and years now... but it's just giving me fits and thought it was time for a new one. I quilt my own quilts on a different machine that I have set up but if I could find one that has a longer arm I would like to have one like that if wouldn't break the bank... I just have no idea as to what I 'm looking for and thought some of you folks could help me out... Thanks

happyquiltmom 01-25-2014 04:20 AM

Several years ago, I bought a vintage Bernina 830 Record on eBay for the specific purpose of free-motion quilting (one of my quilting friends suggested it). I LOVE it! It doesn't have a long arm, but I've done queen sized quilts on it with no problem. It has several built-in stitches and came with extra feet and a knee lever that raises the foot for pivoting on corners. I paid about $400 for it.

Sandygirl 01-25-2014 04:45 AM

Gosh, there is tons of info on this board. Your inquiry for info gets asked about every day. We need a separate forum topic dedicated to sewing machine info. I am a Janome gal. 'Nuff said.

sandy

NJ Quilter 01-25-2014 04:57 AM

About the only feature I was adamant about when I was looking was the needle up/down feature. I don't machine quilt so harp size wasn't a factor. I also do home dec and the odd piece of garment sewing. I ended up with a mid-range Viking and am a very happy camper. Have not had a lick of trouble with it. It has an auto tension feature as well witch was a bonus. I would suggest making a list of features you need vs want and then look at which machines have them. If you're looking for a basic, straight stitch only machine, a vintage singer would be my choice.

Jeanne S 01-25-2014 05:15 AM

Look through some older threads on this board as there is LOTS of info/advice on machines. When I asked the same question, some of the best recommended going to a quilting show and 'test driving' lots of machines from vendors to figure out what I liked. Or you can do the same at your local sewing machine and quilt shop stores. I ultimately decided on a Juki TL 2010Q as I wanted a straight stitch work-horse machine with the largest harp I could afford and I love it. I also really need the speed regulator for consistent sewing, and love the automatic thread cutting feature and the 'hands free' knee level to raise/lower the pressure foot. It is a big investment so just do some shopping around and take your time until you find what you like based upon your budget.

Misty's Mom 01-25-2014 05:41 AM

I'm a janome gal also. I have the 8900QCP. It's got the larger harp, needle up and down, needle threader and cutter, plus lots more features. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Quilts like a champ. It's an all around great machine. I love it.

kimnkell 01-25-2014 05:59 AM

So what do you all think about the Janome 2007le ? A lady has offered to sell me one but I can't find out much about them online.... I would go to a shop to test drive some but the closest shop is about 75 miles from me...

Mdegenhart 01-25-2014 06:07 AM

Licensed dealers (whichever brand you are interested in) usually have repairmen and refurbish & sell used traded in machines. I got my wonderful Janome 6600P this way for $350 dollars.

Judi in Ohio 01-25-2014 06:09 AM

I'm going to second the Juki. If you want more than a straight stitch, Juki came out with a line of machines - the f-300 thru 600 - that has as many stitch choices as the big names, at 60% less $. Juki's will go thru anything. So many of the big names have sissy motors that bog down when the going gets tough. I bought mine off the internet, just thru reviews and I love it.

Gayle8675309 01-25-2014 06:15 AM

I just bought a Janome Horizon 8200. It has an 11 inch throat, one of the biggest available on domestic machines. I just love it. It has needle up/down, start/stop button, automatic tension, knee lift for presser foot and a large amount of stitches. I paid $2500.00 for it, not sure if that is considered "breaking the bank" or not, guess that depends on each person's circumstances. :)