Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Want to use my husband's Army uniforms...help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/want-use-my-husbands-army-uniforms-help-t218916.html)

dd 04-16-2013 04:15 AM

Having 4 green rows doesn't put the Tshirt "A" in the center. Do you want to add another row above the Tshirt or eliminate some off bottom? Maybe consolidate the bottom 2 rows of green? Can you do 2 more pockets so all four in the middle would be pockets? Or do you like it the way it is?lol

mrsbudryzer 04-16-2013 05:39 AM

lol, I hear ya...I switched around these little blocks so many times I felt like I was playing dominoes!! The biggest issue I have is I am out of fabric and everything is already cut. Eeeek. With the one I posted I was trying to create the illusion of some border work without actually having to do the actual border "work" lol Lazy, lazy, I know. But, remember, this is my first real quilt!!! Ever!!! And, I'm doing a tshirt quilt for my daughter at the same time.

mrsbudryzer 04-19-2013 10:19 AM

I am so excited!!!! I got my printable fabric sheets in the mail yesterday and I printed some pictures for the quilt!!! :) Yay! Oh, I also had success sewing the patches onto the blocks. Whoop, whoop!! It's a good day!!

mrsbudryzer 04-26-2013 12:59 PM

This is what I have so far!!
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...psd8b42c93.jpg

ragamuffin 04-26-2013 07:36 PM

I would put an eagle in there somewhere. And his unit number. Or write it on with the Micro Pen. Make sure you put his years on it too, like from 1980 to 2010. I have a crazy quilt made from fabric from WWII and his navy arm patch in is in the quilt too. Don't forget his patches. If you are running short of fabric, string stitch the border, or make piano keys. Here you could add some bought fabric if you needed to. Good luck, girl. I have my son's Iraqi War Marine outfits in the closet upstairs yet. Maybe that is what I should do too.

QuiltingCrazie 04-26-2013 10:44 PM

If you need more uniforms I have a huge bag of ACU's I'd be will to send you a couple tops just PM me. I'm making a quilt sooner or later but a soldier gave me tons when she heard I would use them.

mrsbudryzer 04-27-2013 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin (Post 6028451)
I would put an eagle in there somewhere. And his unit number. Or write it on with the Micro Pen. Make sure you put his years on it too, like from 1980 to 2010. I have a crazy quilt made from fabric from WWII and his navy arm patch in is in the quilt too. Don't forget his patches. If you are running short of fabric, string stitch the border, or make piano keys. Here you could add some bought fabric if you needed to. Good luck, girl. I have my son's Iraqi War Marine outfits in the closet upstairs yet. Maybe that is what I should do too.

Oh, wow!! Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?! lol Thanks!!! I don't know what string stitch the border or piano keys are????

mrsbudryzer 04-27-2013 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie (Post 6028578)
If you need more uniforms I have a huge bag of ACU's I'd be will to send you a couple tops just PM me. I'm making a quilt sooner or later but a soldier gave me tons when she heard I would use them.

Thank you very much for the offer. I actually still have some left. I was just hoping not to cut up anything I only had one of. He has two pants that he still wears...I could always just be like, whoops, I don't know what happened to them....lol Though, when I think about it...what's the point of having something if it's going to be hidden in a box in the attic? I may go up there for more...I just don't want his kids to get mad at me for chopping his stuff up.... I already know which kid will inherit this quilt. :) That is, if I can bear to part with it...

mrsbudryzer 04-27-2013 01:30 AM

Ah, I looked up piano keys and string stitch. I see what you're saying. The only problem with that is all the seams. The fabric is so thick...when I made the star block, it was so hard to get all the seams to lay flat.

I was actually thinking of using the backing material for the border to incorporate the back into the front and make it all blend together nicely. The binding will be the same as well so it will all look like one piece framing this whole masterpiece of mine. :p

I was thinking an OD Green flannel material for the backing. So.....do I need batting??? Should I do batting anyway??? Even if I do use flannel? I've heard you don't have to do batting if you use flannel, but maybe I should anyhow? What do you think?

mrsbudryzer 04-27-2013 01:36 AM

I'm designing the block for that empty space I have right now...I'm liking it so far and it will have his info typed in there with a color background so that it is not stark white in that spot, which I don't think has the same eye appeal. I'm also including a picture of his regiment patch. We have an "Ode to Marty" wall here at home where I have his regiment patches in a display case. He doesn't want me to take them out, lol, men....sooooo, I am either going to order a patch from ebay or print a picture of a patch from the internet and incorporate it onto this one block.

I will look for a picture of the wall so you can all see how crazy I am about my husband ;)