Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm And Natural batting ODOR!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-batting-odor-t82144.html)

juneayerza 12-12-2010 07:46 PM

I know this has probably been posted somewhere already, but still want to ask about pre-shrinking natural and warm batting. Can you throw it in the washing machine on hand wash or will it all come apart? How do you pre-shrink it?
Thanks in advance for the help.

heberstitcher 12-12-2010 09:20 PM

I bought a queen size pkg of W&N at Joann's and it did smell funny, now that I think about it. Haven't noticed it in any other W&N I have purchased. HUMMMM?????

penski 12-12-2010 11:05 PM

i have been using warm andnatural for years and have a large bag of it in my seewing room and never had a smell problem with it, maybe try washing it or soaking it in some water and baking soda i use this in my laundry all the time

dmackey 12-13-2010 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
I know this has probably been posted somewhere already, but still want to ask about pre-shrinking natural and warm batting. Can you throw it in the washing machine on hand wash or will it all come apart? How do you pre-shrink it?

I have never prewashed W&N. One time I soaked it in the tub and it was almost impossible to get it wet, but I didn't want to put it in a washer and dryer because of the excessive lint I felt would result. I always wash my fabrics, and then the finished quilts. Those that have the W&N shrink less than 2% and it gives the quilt a bit of a barely wrinkled look that is typical of all quilts.

Diane

Lori S 12-13-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza

I do preshrink most of my Warm and natural batting, or warm and white. Warm and Natural actually is one of the best for preshrinking in that it holds up well in the wash and dryer. I wash on gentle, But let it soak over night ( just lift the lid on the washer so it does not continue in its cycle), because it does not seem to take up the water easliy. Not sure why this is . Then once the full cycle has completed toss it in the dryer, regular cycle. It holds up beautifully. If you can also use a soak cycle on your washer , but so spin out the water before drying.

natalieg 12-13-2010 06:23 AM

I have always noticed W&N having a smell, but then, I can smell an odor from most fabrics-quilt shop quality or Walmart quality. The cheaper the fabric-the more the smell it seems. I am very allergic to the formaldehyde used in fabric. I washed just over 800 yds of fabric in my stash and got rid of about 200 yds. Now I prewash ALL fabric. My sister (not a pre-washer) sent me a quilt to quilt on my frame and I thought I was going to croak! I could only work on it a half-hour at a time!

Jean OK 12-13-2010 08:45 AM

Yep, it was probably the formaldyde. I used to work for a company that only sold socks. Millions on the walls and tables. I also had a problem with the oder of many mills that made them. The formildade is put into the yarns so the boweevills don't eat it up before the mills can get it used. Some times it goes away, but most times it lingers alot longer than most. I used the plants in the shops that love the sent. Then I made sure that everyone knew about it and washed the items befor wearing them. Some Countys stll use too much of the cheimicals. (China). Good luk in getting rid of it.

juneayerza 12-13-2010 01:01 PM

Lori,

Thanks for the info on machine washing. I really need to pre-wash everything since I also have allery problems to the chemicals in the fabrics, both breathing and skin contact.

Thanks to everyone else who responded, this is a great group of people for a newbie like me. I appreciate each and everyone of you and wish you all a Happy Holiday Season.

Rettie V. Grama 12-14-2010 09:06 PM

What Breed is that dog in your Avatar?

Originally Posted by MaggieLou

Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
Don't know about the batting, but I received a pkg. of quilting scraps . ordered from EBay, the seller from MI and when I opened the box the smell was soooo bad I had to put the box in another room...It smelled like chemicals..I am VERY sensitive to different odors and this one even made my mouth taste funny!! I contacted the seller, and she didn't know what I was talking about..I placed the fabrics outside for a couple of hours and today the smell is still there..I even had my husband smell and he agreed, don't know what to do about it

Try washing the fabric and rinsing in a vinegar solution. That should take some of the odor out. It could be the chemicals they processed the fabric. Usually it's a formaldhyde solution.