Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm and Natural Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-batting-question-t255126.html)

PumpkinSundae 10-11-2014 02:17 PM

Warm and Natural Batting Question

Hi..I went to my quilt store as I was looking for batting and they suggested all cotton Warm and Natural. It looked great but when I asked if I should use it in some table runners I am making (wondering if it will shrink a lot) they said it was pre-shrunk and that would not happen. I will definitely try for it for a baby quilt because if it did shrink somewhat I do like the crinkly look for a quilt but not a table runner. Thought I would ask the experts...you!

Thank you so much!

Scissor Queen 10-11-2014 02:49 PM

Warm and Natural is not 100% cotton. It has a poly scrim. The scrim allows you to quilt it up to 10 inches apart. It also makes for a fairly stiff quilt if you quilt it very close. As far as I know W&N is not "pre-shrunk." They really should read the labels on the products they sell.

ckcowl 10-11-2014 03:08 PM

Warm & natural does shrink, I was unhappy with the way a table runner turned out using it, no matter how much ironing/starching the runner never laid flat again. It is OK for quilts- it is a very dense, heavy batting. I have found low loft polyester batts to be better choices for table runners, placemats. Dream poly is my favorite. Or, I just use a medium or heavy weight sew in stabilizer instead of batting.

gale 10-11-2014 03:51 PM

On table runners I would only use it with non washed fabric (so it all somewhat shrinks together evenly) or pre shrink both. I've heard it shrinks about 3% (I think it's actually on the Warm & Natural website) but have seen reports of more or less shrinking of it.

joe'smom 10-11-2014 04:00 PM

You can wash Warm and Natural to preshrink it (this is not the case with all battings). They have directions on the package. You're not supposed to spin it, but you can dry it on normal heat. What I do is soak it in a wash tub, squeeze it out, then squeeze again between two large towels, and machine dry. That said, my last quilt still seemed to shrink a bit after washing, even with the pre-washed Warm and Natural. Still, I don't know of any batting that doesn't shrink somewhat. The wools seem to claim the least shrinkage, when washed in cold and air dried.

QuiltingHaven 10-11-2014 04:51 PM

Okay, here is what I do since I do wash all my fabrics before I use them. I take the Warm and Natural out of the bag and "unfurl" it. Then, I get 5 wash cloths and run them in cold water and wring them out slightly still "dampish". Fling two of them into the empty dryer, put the "unfurled" Warm and Natural batting 1/2 of it in the dryer on top of the first two wash clothes, throw in two more wash clothes on top of that 1/2 and then fold the rest of the Warm and Natural in the dryer, put the final cold wet wash cloth. Set the dryer on low and run the dryer for 20 minutes. Take the batting out and unfurl it on the spare bed or on the clean floor to get the wrinkles out while it is still a tad damp. The wash clothes will also be damp but will have put moisture in the dryer. I consider that probably the batting may have shrunk some and the wrinkles are out of it and it is nice and warm. Hope this helps.

Prism99 10-11-2014 06:28 PM

I used to use Warm and Natural, but don't any more. Compared to other battings, it is stiff with a stiff drape. I prefer Hobbs 80/20, Mountain Mist 100% cotton blue ribbon batting (thin vintage look), Hobbs PolyDown, or Hobbs wool. All are softer and cozier to wrap around oneself (or a baby).

I do like the stability of Warm and Natural for wall hangings and tied quilts.

Plus, as others have said, the scrim in it is poly and it will shrink up to 3% the first time it is washed.

gale 10-11-2014 07:43 PM

I tried Hobbs 80/20 and hated it. :( When I was smoothing it out it stretched and got all bowed. I had to let it relax for a few days before I used it.

winia 10-11-2014 07:54 PM

It does shrink. I have used it a lot.

ManiacQuilter2 10-12-2014 12:34 PM

I bought W&N when they first started making it and it had bits of tree bark still in it so I switched to Hobbs 80/20. I have always bought Hobbs from a roll so I don't have any problems with ripples when I get is packaged. They both have scrim in it but W&N has a flat look while Hobbs had a bit of puff. The Cadillac of batting is Dream Cotton but it is outside of my price range.