Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm and natural batting in a tshirt quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-batting-tshirt-quilt-t285917.html)

MelanieRenee 02-08-2017 01:43 PM

Warm and natural batting in a tshirt quilt

I have a tshirt quilt with 15x15 inch shirt squares. I have sashing between them and so far I have stitched in the sashing. That part looks good. My stitching on the actual shirts does not look good. I am using my sewing machine and just straight stitching around the logos, but the tshirts are stretching. My question is can I just not stitch on the tshirts at all? Will the warm and natural batting really come apart with too little quilting? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

PaperPrincess 02-08-2017 02:22 PM

yes. You need to follow the batting instructions on the maximum distance. Those squares are way to big to leave unquilted. THe maximum distance is in all directions, even on the diagonal. Sounds like you didn't stabilize the Tshirts first? How did you baste the quilt sandwich? Have you tried a walking foot? Another thing you might want to try is put a piece of wrapping tissue paper over the area and sew right thru that. Unless you quilt really heavily, you should be able to easily rip it away. I would experiment a bit with some of the left over tshirt fabric.

hray 02-08-2017 02:29 PM

When I made a t-shirt quilt, I tied it--didn't even try to stitch it quilted. Also, I stabilized the t-shirt pieces with light-weight fusible interfacing.

MelanieRenee 02-08-2017 05:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the walking foot, and I'm thinking matching my thread to the tshirt color may help also. If none of that works, I'm considering taking it apart and using a flannel sheet for the batting.

quiltingshorttimer 02-08-2017 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7760055)
yes. You need to follow the batting instructions on the maximum distance. Those squares are way to big to leave unquilted. THe maximum distance is in all directions, even on the diagonal. Sounds like you didn't stabilize the Tshirts first? How did you baste the quilt sandwich? Have you tried a walking foot? Another thing you might want to try is put a piece of wrapping tissue paper over the area and sew right thru that. Unless you quilt really heavily, you should be able to easily rip it away. I would experiment a bit with some of the left over tshirt fabric.

Paper Princess is right on target with what's needed here.

Deb watkins 02-09-2017 07:24 PM

I did only 1 tee shirt quilt - and used iron on lightweight interfacing on the back of the shirt. That worked well, used warm and natural batting. Outlined the logo on the tees and did SITD on the sashing. Tees are not my thing, and I am not anxious to ever do another one!

slbram17 02-10-2017 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by MelanieRenee (Post 7760039)
I have a tshirt quilt with 15x15 inch shirt squares. I have sashing between them and so far I have stitched in the sashing. That part looks good. My stitching on the actual shirts does not look good. I am using my sewing machine and just straight stitching around the logos, but the tshirts are stretching. My question is can I just not stitch on the tshirts at all? Will the warm and natural batting really come apart with too little quilting? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I used stabilizer on my t shirts first...no stretching.