Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   warm and natural (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-t15820.html)

quilterj 01-25-2009 06:30 PM

Ok this is the first time that I am going to be using the cotton batting. I know alot of people prefer that than the poly. Anyway, I was reading the wrapper. Do any of you wash and dry the batting first or just use it as is? I am about to use it for some potholders. I am awhere that a potholder verses a quilt it should't matter if there is a little shrinkage. But I was wondering if I am going to keep using this what is it that you do? And there is one other thing that I didn't notice at the store. Is there different type lofts to the cotton as there is with the poly?

sewnsewer2 01-25-2009 06:31 PM

I use it and have never prewashed it. I like the look of the shrinkage tho.

Jim's Gem 01-25-2009 06:59 PM

I use it all the time and I don't pre-wash it either. I like the little bit of "shrunk" look as well. That and it hides any minor stitching errors one might possibly make.

sewhappy57 01-25-2009 07:06 PM

I use only warm and natural, never pre-wash and always turned out just fine.
As for different lofts I've seen no difference, some of the newer ones feel softer though. (bright and white and the bamboo one looks nice too!)

Cathe 01-25-2009 09:12 PM

I always prewash it.

The exception is when I want an "instant antique" effect for certain crafty projects.

Shadow Dancer 01-25-2009 09:20 PM

I throw it in the dryer for 15 minutes to get the wrinkles out and it preshrinks it. :)

jljack 01-26-2009 03:41 PM

I almost always use Warm & Natural, because I love its softness and drape and the slightly crinkled look when you wash it after the quilt is complete. It is also the most readily available cotton batting in my area of California. At Road to California last weekend I got a sample and a queen size of washable wool batting at the Hobbs booth, and I can't wait to try it. Hobbs always has "sample packs" at their booth, and you get about 7 different batting samples for $5. I will spend some time working with the samples to see how I like the feel. I only machine quilt, so not sure I will actually "feel" a great difference during the making of the quilt.

sandpat 01-26-2009 03:44 PM

I throw it in the dryer to remove the wrinkles. I don't leave it forever since I like the wrinkly effect when I finish the quilt.

Kara 01-26-2009 04:42 PM

It depends of the finish you want.

If you don't prewash fabric, don't prewash the batting. It should shrink at almost the same rate. If you do prewash fabric, you have a choice to make.

I prewash fabric and not the batting. I like the look after it's washed. I've used Warm & Natural and Warm & White, and have a wool waiting on the sidelines to try - excited.

ljsunflower 01-26-2009 08:31 PM

I use it a lot & never pre wash. It does great when I wash my quilts after quilting & putting the binding on it.
Linda