Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm and natural. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-t209569.html)

happylab 12-29-2012 01:40 PM

Warm and natural.

I have warm and natural batting, which I feel is way too thin (for my taste) of batting for my quilts. I was wondering if I doubled the thickness, would I have problems quilting it on my Sweet 16 machine. I'm currently quilting a quilt on the machine which is quilting up very nicely. I have found out my machine really likes this brand of batting. I've had no issues quilting so far. I feel this batting is great for wall hangs and summer quilts, but not for warm winter quilts. I was also wondering what warm and natural batting I should buy next time for quilts in the future. Do they have heavy batting? I ordered this bolt from my LQS, I thought I told them I wanted heavy batting verses this thin batting. I can still use the batting for other projects. Just want information for next time. Thank-you for any info you can give me.

kiffie2413 12-29-2012 01:47 PM

Hi,
I use warm and natural a lot...it does feel thin in and of itself, but when you quilt with it it really makes a "heavy" quilt...its not "lofty" like other high loft battings, so it also depends on what kind of look and feel you are looking for...
Hope this helps some,
K

auntpiggylpn 12-29-2012 01:52 PM

I think sometimes thickness is confused with warmth. I like W&N because it is lightweight but definately keeps the user toasty warm.

JulieR 12-29-2012 02:03 PM

Have you been sleeping under a W&N quilt this winter? Or does it just seem like it won't do the job because it is low loft?

happylab 12-29-2012 02:13 PM

I usually buy lofty batting, 1/2 to 3/4 inch, this is the 1st I've tried W&N. Does the W&N fluff up a little?

JulieR 12-29-2012 02:18 PM

No. But don't let the low loft throw you, it really is very warm. If it is warmth you're after, try one out! If it is the puffy look you want, though, you won't get that from warm n natural.

kiffie2413 12-29-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5748147)
No. But don't let the low loft throw you, it really is very warm. If it is warmth you're after, try one out! If it is the puffy look you want, though, you won't get that from warm n natural.

Well said...I love warm and natural, because it is easy to quilt, and it is so warm when finished...it really makes a much heavier quilt than you can imagine...but it isn't a "fluffy" type quilt...Maybe you can make something small with it, and see what you think...
K

carolaug 12-29-2012 02:22 PM

I use warm and natural for batting and love it...I live in the north with lots of snow and cold weather...its perfect!! and it also is nice in the summer too....I love how its not puffy..or thick and its plenty warm enough...

Jan in VA 12-29-2012 02:23 PM

I think thickness of quilts is confused with the thickness -- usually polyester, though - of comforters. Quilts are warm not because of their thick battings most of the time, but because they are pieced, layered, batted, and quilted.

"Vintage" utility quilts were often made with one or more used up blankets or even old ragged quilts as batting and they were often so heavy one couldn't even turn over easily under them!

If you want warmth, use a wool batting from Quilters Dream Batting or Hobbs Batting.
If you want thickness, use a high loft polyester batting.

Jan in VA

QuiltE 12-29-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by happylab (Post 5748135)
I usually buy lofty batting, 1/2 to 3/4 inch, this is the 1st I've tried W&N. Does the W&N fluff up a little?

No it will not fluff up for you!
ditto to what the others have said about loft, weight, and warmth

To answer your question re double layering W+N ... give it a try ... just do something small like a table topper and see what you think.

I like W+N for it's finished look as well as warmth. However, I will admit a large quilt with a single layer is indeed heavy to move around. I don't think I'd want a double layer of weight!