Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warm and natural versus Hobbs cotton with scrim (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warm-natural-versus-hobbs-cotton-scrim-t243962.html)

TeresaA 03-26-2014 10:32 AM

Warm and natural versus Hobbs cotton with scrim

Sorry for another batting question. Didn't find this exact question in the archives.

I've never actually seen Hobbs cotton with scrim, but I'm assuming it's the comparable product to Warm and Natural cotton (with scrim).

Are they comparable? Can you really tell one from another?

The Hobbs is WAY less expensive...soooo.

Thanks!

patricej 03-26-2014 10:45 AM

Hobbs is ok, but i prefer Warm & Natural.

Prism99 03-26-2014 11:05 AM

Hobbs makes several cotton battings. I assume you are referring to their Heirloom Natural with Scrim?

TeresaA 03-26-2014 11:42 AM

@Prism99, yes I am.

Jan in VA 03-26-2014 12:52 PM

Hobbs cotton with scrim is less dense and less heavy than Warm and Natural.....which, to me isn't all that natural in a finished, long-arm quilted, queen quilt. I hate trying to fold mine, my shoulders ache afterwards. it's the only personal quilt I have with WN batting and the one I like the least.

I personally much prefer, for weight and drape, Hobbs battings - their organic cotton, their wool, or Quilters Dream cotton Request or their wool.

Jan in VA

TeresaA 03-26-2014 01:16 PM

Thank you, Jan. I wish we had a "like" button.

NJ Quilter 03-26-2014 03:00 PM

I use W&N all the time and actually like the weight. BUT, a friend uses the Quilters Dream 100% cotton and I will say it does have a very nice 'hand' to it. When I finish off the bolt of W&N that I have I will probably try the QD myself. Can you possibly get a small package of each batt and see which one you prefer? Make some placemats or table runners and see what you think.

QuiltE 03-26-2014 03:43 PM

I used to use W+N ... mostly because of the LQS' influence.
That was what they had ... and they said how good it was.

Then I tried some others ... now W+N is my least favourite.
Yes, I sometimes still use it, by default, in that it might be the easiest to get at the time.

TeresaA ... the best way to find out is to try some others and see what you think.
However, keep in mind that no two quilts are equal ... different stitching methods or quantities can give a totally different feel to the finished quilt. Likewise, different fabrics ... yes they may all be cotton, but different weights. Also, quilts have different size of pieces and numbers of seams, which give a different end feel.

So in the end, it;s really hard to get a true apples-to-apples comparison! :)

ManiacQuilter2 03-26-2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 6646043)
Hobbs is ok, but i prefer Warm & Natural.

Just the opposite. Sorry PatriceJ. I prefer Hobbs 80/20. They both have scrim. I prefer Hobbs because you will get a little puff from the batting. W&N is much heavier and flatter than Hobbs. I use to quilt professionally and Hobbs 80/20 is what I used in my quilts and my customer's quilts. HOPE this answers your question. You will probably find half the quilters preferring one and the other half preferring the other.

Prism99 03-26-2014 04:25 PM

Hobbs 80/20 does not have scrim. It is needlepunched, but not through scrim. Hobbs *does* have a cotton batting that is needlepunched through scrim -- their Heirloom Natural with Scrim. I love Hobbs 80/20 but have not tried their Heirloom Natural with Scrim, so can't compare it to Warm and Natural (which is needlepunched through scrim). I used to use W&N, but no longer care for its stiff drape when new (it does soften up with multiple washings).