Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warmth compromise? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warmth-compromise-t169484.html)

SouthPStitches 11-22-2011 03:21 PM

Warmth compromise?

What is the general feeling about the heavily-quilted tops? Is it possible that the three layers are pierced so many times that it affects the warmth of the quilt? Does all the thread used make up the difference? Not really a problem for me as I hand quilt but I think the heavily quilted tops can be gorgeous.

valleyquiltermo 11-22-2011 03:25 PM

Well I have a few heavily quilted quilts and they are just as warm as the less quilted ones. They are however not as soft as the less quilted quilts.

ckcowl 11-22-2011 03:27 PM

the warmth factor i think is based more on the batting/fabrics used-
some batts are much warmer than others- loft and fiber content would dictate whether or not the quilt will be warm- or more (a lightweight-warm weather) quilt. very thin cotton batts offer the least amount of warmth...lofty wool batts the most- regardless of the amount of quilting also, heavy cottons, flannels, homespuns, wools are warmer than thin cotton calico's. it is all dependant on the (whole package)

117becca 11-22-2011 03:42 PM

One can never have too much quilting!!! LOL!!!

QuiltnNan 11-22-2011 04:24 PM

they can be gorgeous, indeed. but what makes a quilt warm is the spaces between the layers that trap the heat. when it's heavily quilted, there are not very many spaces left.

TanyaL 11-22-2011 04:49 PM

I usually think that a heavily quilted quilt is more for looks that practical warmth. In fact I would be the one that would take it off the bed before I went to sleep and put it back on in the morning. For warmth and comfort I prefer a VERY soft, cuddly, almost a comforter/blanket type quilt, quilted loosely or far apart. Something that will bunch up under my chin and around my ears when it is chilly.

#1piecemaker 11-22-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4710941)
they can be gorgeous, indeed. but what makes a quilt warm is the spaces between the layers that trap the heat. when it's heavily quilted, there are not very many spaces left.

I didn't know this. But, it sounds reasonable. Its a good thing to remember. I just have always found the heavily quilted quilts to sometimes be stiff. I like mine fluffy and soft!!

KerryK 11-22-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 4711041)
I usually think that a heavily quilted quilt is more for looks that practical warmth. In fact I would be the one that would take it off the bed before I went to sleep and put it back on in the morning. For warmth and comfort I prefer a VERY soft, cuddly, almost a comforter/blanket type quilt, quilted loosely or far apart. Something that will bunch up under my chin and around my ears when it is chilly.

Me, too! Love a nice cozy quilt!

fatquarters 11-22-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 4711041)

I agree, in fact I have one at the quilters now, it's a queen, so I told her a loose panto. She said she is blowing it up to 200% on the computer. Too much thread takes away the comfy factor

Lmiller1647 11-22-2011 05:07 PM

I really like the soft and cuddly quilts. I prefer to make them because I want my quilts to be used until they wear out.