Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   warning about those triangle template rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-about-those-triangle-template-rulers-t180536.html)

mim 02-24-2012 12:38 PM

warning about those triangle template rulers

Yesterday at my quilt guild I taught a class on tumbling blocks without "Y" seams. The first cut is 60 degrees. Everyone who used a 60 degree template ruler was off!!!!

Those who used their straight ruler following the 60 degree line were OK.

We measured every template ruler and they were ALL off a little bit. It didn't seem to matter what the brand was.

I was shocked!! I don't use templates -- I guess I'm old fashioned and don't want to spend money needlessly.

The initial 60 degree cut was critical to having the blocks go together in a row.

I'm doing the Dear Jane quilt and will make my own template for the triangle edges.
Mim

woody 02-24-2012 01:31 PM

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

dunster 02-24-2012 02:45 PM

I just measured mine. The Clearview Super 60 and Marti Michell's Equilateral Triangle Ruler both measured exactly right (when compared to each other and to my Omnigrid ruler). However, the EZ 60 degree diamond ruler from Darlene Zimmerman, an orange ruler which has two 60 degree ends (and is sold at JoAnn's), was off on one end. I've never actually used that ruler (lucky for me) but I have used the other two quite a bit, and never had a problem with them.

ghostrider 02-24-2012 02:56 PM

Please don't start spreading panic. Not ALL triangle templates are out of whack. My 8" 60º triangle ruler is a perfect 60º at each angle (I just measured them) and I've never had any trouble matching seams or blocks and having everything lay flat. Take a protractor when you go to buy any angled ruler and you'll be sure.

Did you think to consider the edges may be shaved off by rotary blades? That would definitely skew the angles.

ETA: My ruler is made by Creative Grids (made in the USA, btw) and is non-slip.

gayle bong 02-24-2012 02:58 PM

Sorry to hear you were so frustrated with the inaccurate 60 degree triangle rulers. I have used the Clearview brand EXCLUSIVELY and EXTENSIVELY in the last 20 years and never encountered a problem with them. On the other hand, I have a little tool I sell and sometimes the screen isn't aligned correctly when it is printed. I have to reject those from the manufacturer. They should each be checked and rejected if it is not printed within their tolerance for error. Some companies have a bigger tolerance.

Tartan 02-24-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks for the warning. I will measure mine with a proctrator but I haven't had any problems using mine. It is always good to double check our tools. What amazes me is all the wonderful antique quilts we see that were cut with scissors.

BellaBoo 02-24-2012 07:43 PM

I have one of the orange
EZ 60 degree diamond rulers but have never used it. I'll check it before I do use it. Thanks for the heads up.

Julie in WA 02-24-2012 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5005123)
Thanks for the warning. I will measure mine with a proctrator but I haven't had any problems using mine. It is always good to double check our tools. What amazes me is all the wonderful antique quilts we see that were cut with scissors.

Isn't that the truth!!! We certainly have it easy today!

OHSue 02-24-2012 07:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I would have assumed the problem was with me.... and it likely would have been.

Handcraftsbyjen 02-25-2012 05:02 AM

Marci Baker has a ruler for her 3D designs with no Y seams and there is no problem. Perhaps you may want to try hers. I loved taking her class.