Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   warning: spray adhesive seeping through topper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-spray-adhesive-seeping-through-topper-t292367.html)

lindaschipper 11-06-2017 04:53 AM

did you over spray when making the topper? Did you wash and dry the topper before using? So many questions to be answered......

MaggieLou 11-06-2017 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by IQ2 (Post 7938269)
I'm not sure which I used on this. I had previously purchased June Tailor spray but didn't like it and switched to 505. I just checked the 505 can and it says to remove dry clean.

I can't believe they would say dry cleaning to remove adhesive. You should be able to just wash it out. At least Elmer's is washable. Who would dry clean a quilt? That would be expensive unless the fabric used needed dry cleaning.

JustAbitCrazy 11-06-2017 09:22 AM

Also, dry cleaning is not recommended for quilts at all.

SusieQOH 11-06-2017 10:23 AM

Oh that's a bummer! Sorry this happened to you.
I have zero experience with spray so I'm no help.

madamekelly 11-06-2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by IQ2 (Post 7938441)
Well I didn't use heat in the diffuser, and I don't THINK I used very much adhesive, but I sure am gun-shy about using it again. Thanks for the info about Sullivan's. I will try that next time, IF I don't chicken out of using it any more. It surely did make layering easier....decisions, decisions!
Thanks all for your responses.

I have been using Elmer’s school glue with no problems like this since I heard about it here, and no fumes. I just iron it dry using a press cloth over and under it to protect the ironing board and iron. Bonus, it washes out completely.

eastslopequilter 11-06-2017 02:49 PM

I have used Sullivan's for years and have never had trouble. I use things I have made on my wooden dining table and other furniture and it never sticks.

Onebyone 11-06-2017 07:25 PM

Never used an oil diffuser so no knowledge if that could cause the problem. I have a runner on my table that I use for a hot pad for hot pans off the stove and out of the oven. It was basted with basting spray and I've never had problem with the topper sticking to the table underneath the pan. It's washed a lot so I doubt there is any spray left in it by now anyway.

Eva Knight 11-07-2017 03:39 AM

Those leak-proof oil diffusers do leak and they will remove the finish from furniture. It did happen to me.

craftdiva 11-07-2017 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou (Post 7938861)
I can't believe they would say dry cleaning to remove adhesive. You should be able to just wash it out. At least Elmer's is washable. Who would dry clean a quilt? That would be expensive unless the fabric used needed dry cleaning.

There are various types of 505. Not all are for fabric. Just a thought that if may not have been the washout one.

tuckyquilter 11-07-2017 10:21 AM

Hadn't heard of Sullivans but will look it up. Hopefully it works as well as the 505 does.