Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wash a baby quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-baby-quilt-t92489.html)

kclausing 01-21-2011 09:55 AM

finish the quilt first - quilting and binding. Then wash it before giving it. This way if you messed up on a seam allowance and a seam comes loose, you have a chance to fix it. You can iron it after it is washed to bring back that new appearance.

quiltlonger 01-21-2011 10:55 AM

Hope you can 'float' through the quilting and binding with out any problems --Don't forget a label with the basic info

Boscobd 01-21-2011 07:43 PM

I'd wash after quilting and with a Color Catcher. BTW - your quilt is gorgeous! Love the purple!!

QuiltMania 01-21-2011 07:50 PM

Once it is all finished and bound, I'd wash it in Ivory Snow or Dreft which are very gentle for baby things.

deema 01-21-2011 07:57 PM

I wash every quilt I make before it goes anywhere - to me, it is not complete until it's survived a wash and dry, lol. For a baby quilt, I'd wash it in a baby detergent (which I always have, because I have children with sensitive skin, but I like my own nice scented detergent, so I do our laundry separately), but if you don't have baby detergent, I'd just wash and tell the mom what you used should she wish to re-wash in her own detergent, giving washing instructions.

Actually, I would *especially* wash a baby quilt because I use so much "crap" putting them together...starch, 505, Elmer's...it NEEDS to be washed before going near a teeny baby. :)

Edit...Oh! Just re-read - DON'T wash the top before it's quilted! Put it all together first, bind it and then wash. If you are concerned about the colours running, I hear Shout Color Catchers are great, never used them myself.

MadQuilter 01-21-2011 08:29 PM

Wash it AFTER you're done quilting and use one of those color catchers. It should be fine. DO NOT - oh pleasepleaseplease - wash the top. I had to do that to an old top that was in my MIL's stash and I still have not figured out how to sort all the threads and tangles.

bamamama 01-21-2011 08:35 PM

You did a great job on piecing the top. Good luck with the quilting, can't wait to see it. I also wash all quilts when I'm finished.

Jim's Gem 01-21-2011 10:14 PM

I wash all my gift quilts before they go out the door. I want to make sure it all comes out "ok"

RkayD 01-21-2011 10:33 PM

I always use a color catcher like everybody else does.. those things are magic. I'm making a baby quilt right now...I always wash my quilts in hot water and dry them on high heat. I figure that gets them ready for the "real world" and if there are any issues they are gonna show up while I can still fix them. I'm going to wash this one I'm working on and then send instructions for it to be washed again in gentle baby soap before use. =) Its for a little bitty tiny 3# baby girl named Finley Claire. Isn't that the cutest name for such a tiny girl?

karen65ae 01-22-2011 02:25 AM

What a beautiful quilt. What is the pattern called ?