Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To wash a Finished quilt or not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-finished-quilt-not-t280176.html)

Genden 07-04-2016 08:26 PM

To wash a Finished quilt or not

I know that some quilter's feel strongly that washing a quilt is a necessary process in finishing a quilt. I felt somewhat scolded in a recent post that I do not plan to wash my art quilt that will be for display until accumulated dust that can't be removed with tumbling in a dryer makes it necessary. I want the unwashed look for as long as possible. Am I wrong or have I just been cited by the quilt police? Is washing always necessary.

quiltingcandy 07-04-2016 08:34 PM

If I were you I would not wash it either. The only reason I wash quilts that I am sending to someone to be used is because I want to confirm that it will survive the first washing. A friend of mine said she never washes her quilts, in her opinion it makes them looked used. (Presentation is everything.) For one to be on display, I think you are smart not to wash it.

Eva Knight 07-04-2016 08:40 PM

I don't think you should wash art quilts. JMO

tellabella 07-04-2016 09:07 PM

Washing it will change the look of it...I definitely wouldn't wash an art quilt

Littledreamdevil 07-04-2016 09:11 PM

If my quilt is going to be used on my bed then I wash it when I am finished with the project.
If it is a wall hanging I see no reason why it needs to be washed only when it need to be.
This is just what I do.

dunster 07-04-2016 09:27 PM

I wouldn't wash an art quilt either. Other quilts go in the wash as soon as the binding is done.

DOTTYMO 07-04-2016 09:31 PM

I wouldn't wash an art quilt. I wash other quilts or give washing instructions and explain what will happen on the first wash. I do this with baby quilts as mums have special soap for some baby allergies.

Bree123 07-04-2016 09:44 PM

There are a few reasons that would lead me to wash an art quilt, and it certainly wouldn't harm anything, but generally I don't find it necessary. But for the sake of sharing information, here are those reasons. Take them for what you will. After all, it's your quilt so it doesn't matter to me what you choose to do & ultimately, I'll never know what you choose anyways. ;)

When I'd wash a finished art quilt
- If marks aren't coming out & I want/need them out, I'd wash & block the quilt
- If owner indicates allergies/chemical sensitivities (due to my own allergies, I pre-wash everything & spray with starch because I'm allergic to sizing so my hands swell up like balloons after touching fabric for very short time & eyes get itchy); this also applies if made in home with pets & buyer is allergic to your type of pet
- If going into a show & there are any lingering smells/scents; I try vacuuming & airing out first, then get a 2nd opinion from someone who doesn't live in my home to ensure it's not just a smell I've gotten used to (especially the case with cigarette smoke; if you smoke at all, the quilt probably smells like it regardless of whether you're an indoor or outdoor smoker)
- If I know the quilt materials & construction lend themselves to crinkling, shrinkage, bleeding or crocking, and it's a customer quilt, I don't care if it's an art quilt. I will always wash & block the finished quilt. I just don't think it's fair that my customers start out with the quilt looking one way & after the first cleaning, it looks radically different. A little different is to be expected, but if they follow all my instructions & the thing comes out faded & crinkly, that's a problem.

When I probably wouldn't wash a finished art quilt
- lots of raw edges, buttons, glittered fabrics, metallic threads, rickrack, etc that could lose their luster, fray, snap, fall off, etc
- mixed media quilts -- especially if some of the items I've attached aren't really made to be washed
- if I had pre-washed all fabrics, marked with either Ultra Clean crayon or white chalk so I know the marks are completely out (if marked) and it was constructed in my pet-free, smoke-free home, and going to a quilt show
- if the quilt is for me & I just don't feel like washing & blocking it right now or don't have time to. For real, if it's for me, it's basically either a practice piece or a demonstration piece so what do I care when it gets washed if it's not disgusting.

Honestly, though, people should just do what they want. What do I care what you do with your quilts as long as it's your name on the label? I do get that some people wish that more shows required quilts be washed prior to entry due to allergies/chemical sensitivities. I have minor problems compared to some gals I know. One lady in our quilt guild has had asthma attacks at fabric stores (except for Amish & home spun stores since they don't use sizing) because her allergy to sizing is so severe. I can understand what that's like because I have the same problem trying to check out at Victoria's Secret with all their perfumes. I really love shopping there, but by the registers it just feels like a death trap for me. But guess what???!!! The world doesn't actually revolve around me! Many other shoppers love all those strong chemical scents as they're waiting in line. They find them relaxing or exhilarating or fun or sexy or whatever. Sometimes they buy those scented perfumes, lotions & such because they like them so much -- and the same is true for fabric. For every one of us that has a problem with fabric sizing, there are probably 20 or 50 others that aren't allergic & love how it makes the fabric feel or look or smell. We are in the minority & guess what?!!!! The world doesn't revolve around us. I wash all my fabric purchases the minute they come through the door. The only exception was a piece of stamped whole cloth. Every other item whether it was a 2.5" mini charm square pack, jelly rolls, or a 3 yard cut of fabric gets washed with Tide Free detergent on the handwash cycle and then either dried on low or set out & dried flat. Same thing happens with ready-to-wear clothes. They go straight into the wash. When I'm finished even art quilts typically go in the wash, but that's my personal preference & even at that, it's not a hard and fast rule even for me.

There's really no harm in washing art quilts when they're finished. It's definitely more of a process than regular bed quilts, but they can come out looking every bit as nice as when you finished quilting them with some effort. But if it's just for your own family to enjoy, unless it's causing you or your loved ones to need to go for allergy shots every week, I say live & let live. There are enough problems in this world without us having to worry about other people's quilt washing schedules. :p

bearisgray 07-04-2016 09:50 PM

I have never made an art quilt - but after looking at some of them at the state fair - with all the embellishments that are on some of them - I probably would not wash something like that.

QuiltnNan 07-05-2016 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7594178)
If I were you I would not wash it either. The only reason I wash quilts that I am sending to someone to be used is because I want to confirm that it will survive the first washing. A friend of mine said she never washes her quilts, in her opinion it makes them looked used. (Presentation is everything.) For one to be on display, I think you are smart not to wash it.

this is the way i feel also.