Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To wash a finished quilt or not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-finished-quilt-not-t298558.html)

NewNonni 07-28-2018 09:32 PM

To wash a finished quilt or not

Do most of you wash your completed quilt before using it or giving it as a gift, even if it doesn’t appear dirty? Thanks for any advice!

Jane Quilter 07-28-2018 10:09 PM

I do. I want to make sure all the chemicals are out of it and I like it to shrink up and get cozy. And since I know they will wash is, I want to know what it will look like. (it could fall apart or shrink crooked etc)

Anniedeb 07-28-2018 11:43 PM

I also wash my finished quilts. I pre-wash my fabrics, but use starch and spray baste, and I want to make sure that is washed out. I've also handled the quilt extensively while making it. I have a smoke free, pet free home, but the quilt is still subjected to everything going on in my house. I don't have a dedicated sewing room. I use our dining room, which is right off the kitchen, and the three season porch. Plus, as Jane said, I know the recipient will wash it, and I want to make sure it washes up nicely.

Macybaby 07-29-2018 02:48 AM

I wash every one - well, so far the only one not washed is on my bed. I bought a new washer and dryer this spring, and looked for ones that would work well for washing large quilts. I washed a queen size yesterday, and have king to toss in this morning. I'm getting caught up on binding.

I have cats and that is the last step to remove as much cat hair/dander as possible. From that point they are kept in a closet until they find their new home.

It also gives me the opportunity to check for problems. So far I've had one that bled, even though I prewash all my fabric. I was able to clean it up and wash it again a few times. I tell the people who get them that they've already been washed, and that seems to relieve a lot of concern about how to care for them.

Mitty 07-29-2018 03:14 AM

I wash them if I need to remove cat fur, glue or markers, but otherwise I don't.

profannie 07-29-2018 03:17 AM

I wash them for the reason stated above, and also because if there is a weak seam somewhere, the initial washing will "open" it and I will be able to correct it before shipping the quilt to a customer.

Monale 07-29-2018 03:38 AM

My quilts definitely need to get washed as I use spray starch, glue basting and washable markers. Wouldn't want to gift a stiff quilt with blue lines on it :p

Joset 07-29-2018 04:16 AM

i wash all my quilts when finished with them

SillySusan 07-29-2018 04:53 AM

I don't. All my quilts are donated to Crisis Pregnancy Centers for the babies and are washed before using for the babies by their mothers anyway.

Homespun 07-29-2018 05:01 AM

I wash all my quilts to check for loose seams, to remove stray threads and remove dyes, and check for bleeding fabrics.
I have been donated lots of fabric so never know where it has been. No animals to worry about hair!