Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wash jelly rolls & charms? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-jelly-rolls-charms-t27471.html)

quilter girl 10-22-2009 05:53 AM

Do you wash jelly rolls and charms before you use them :?: Are they a "mess" to iron and come out of the washer in a "knot"? They look so
nice in the stores. Am thinking it would be fun to have all of my colors
picked out and precut - my least favorite part of quilting. Thanks for any input.

Up North 10-22-2009 05:59 AM

I do not wash small pieces, it has been suggested you could soak them in the sink if you are concerned about running or shrinkage tho.

justwannaquilt 10-22-2009 06:05 AM

I don't wash ANYTHING. *gasp*

Guess you could toss it all in a mesh laundry bag and wash it that way!

mic-pa 10-22-2009 06:15 AM

I tried washing charm squares once, never again. They were in a mesh bag and still came out wonky and stringy. I did iron and use them but wont' do that again. Jelly rolls never. I have a hard time with strings on regular yardage after I wash it, can't imagine what a jelly roll would look like. thats just my opinion. Marge

cabbagepatchkid 10-22-2009 07:46 AM

When I wash small pieces I put them in a very large Tupperware bowl filled with water and a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid. I let them soak until they are fully wet then I dump the water and fill it again with clean water--I do this until the water is clean.

Then I take the pieces and lay them flat on a towel and roll it up (the same way you would with a sweater), like a jelly roll, to get the excess water out. I iron them dry and have never had any problem with scorching them.

I usually do them in batches of same color families. If any of the fabrics are bleeding color I keep rinsing them until the water is clear. I usually watch TV while doing this so it isn't so boring. Actually, I find it sort of relaxing.

LucyInTheSky 10-22-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
When I wash small pieces I put them in a very large Tupperware bowl filled with water and a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid. I let them soak until they are fully wet then I dump the water and fill it again with clean water--I do this until the water is clean.

Then I take the pieces and lay them flat on a towel and roll it up (the same way you would with a sweater), like a jelly roll, to get the excess water out. I iron them dry and have never had any problem with scorching them.

I usually do them in batches of same color families. If any of the fabrics are bleeding color I keep rinsing them until the water is clear. I usually watch TV while doing this so it isn't so boring. Actually, I find it sort of relaxing.

Cathy - Your avatar picture is sooooooooo cute.

joeyoz 10-22-2009 09:14 AM

I don't pre-wash anything anymore.

Scissor Queen 10-22-2009 09:37 AM

I would never wash a jelly roll or charm pack! Way too much hassle. Plus if you need a 5 inch square or a 2.5 inch strip after washing they may be smaller and end up unusable. That would be a huge waste of time and money!

littlehud 10-22-2009 05:47 PM

I wouldn't wash them. They would be a tangled mess. I have never had a problem with washing them after they were sewed into a quilt.