Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wash or Not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wash-not-t37499.html)

shequilts 02-21-2010 05:33 PM

I always wash my fabrics when they come into the house. I drop them off on the washer until I can get them done.
I have two reasons for this.
1. The sizing put on them at the factory makes my eyes water. If I'm working on a quilt for a long time, it really gets to me.
2. The best reason of all....I was in a local quilt shop and saw a customer pick her nose and wipe it on a bolt of fabric. Never, ever, leave home without hand-sanitizer and don't forget to use it!!

dglvr 02-21-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I always wash my fabrics when they come into the house. I drop them off on the washer until I can get them done.
I have two reasons for this.
1. The sizing put on them at the factory makes my eyes water. If I'm working on a quilt for a long time, it really gets to me.
2. The best reason of all....I was in a local quilt shop and saw a customer pick her nose and wipe it on a bolt of fabric. Never, ever, leave home without hand-sanitizer and don't forget to use it!!

I'm a no washer firster but after reading this I might be. YUK.
I would have said something to her but thats just me.
For me it depends on what I'm doing. I don't use alot of red but when I do I'll prewash it for bleeding.
I like working with the fabric before washing it. I seem to cooperate better but thats just me. I know someone that does wash absolutely everything including batting. So it all a personal pref.
:thumbup:

cuppi duke 02-21-2010 05:58 PM

I hardly ever wash my fabric and have never had any trouble. The only time I might iis if it is a dark fabric or batik. I think it was in Eleanore Burns book that she said she hardly ever washes, that she likes the feel of the fabric unwashed. I figure if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me.

dglvr 02-21-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by cuppi duke
I hardly ever wash my fabric and have never had any trouble. The only time I might iis if it is a dark fabric or batik. I think it was in Eleanore Burns book that she said she hardly ever washes, that she likes the feel of the fabric unwashed. I figure if it's good enough for her it's good enough for me.

Yeah if Eleanor Burns sais it thats what I do. I admire her.
She knows best. :-D

coastienest 02-21-2010 06:36 PM

I too think it is a matter of preference. I do pre-wash my fabrics. I just feel better knowing they are clean. When I iron them afterward I use a product called "Mary Ellen's Best Press". I love it. It is called a clear starch alternative. No ugly white flecks when ironed. It gives the fabric just enough stiffness to allow for easy quilting.
Thanks for the idea of clipping the corners. The fraying at times did bother me. Now I'll prevent it. YEAAAAAA

JUNEC 02-21-2010 06:49 PM

If I wash my fabric - I use a zig zag stitch on both cut ends - I have tried the clipped end and pinking sheers either worked as well as the zig zag. Iron and starch afterwards.

GMA 02-21-2010 08:50 PM

I wash everything for the same reasons as mentioned before- don't know where's it's been or who's been touching or whatever. I'ts the nursing backround in me and I have way too many allergies. To the wash machine it goes!

Tally Kathy 02-23-2010 05:46 AM

Where do you buy Synthrapol? Is it the same as "retayne"??

crashnquilt 02-23-2010 06:36 AM

I prewash my fabrics to remove the chemicals. These chemicals can be harmful. Also, if fabrics are from different manufacturers I prewash for the shrinkage because not all fabrics will shrink the same. After washing I iron the fabrics and use liquid starch. This allows you to get the true straight of grain and makes the fabric much easier and more accurate for cutting.

sewingladydi 02-23-2010 06:45 AM

I agree with crashnquilt. I also dry in the dryer because I make lots of kids quilts and I know that will be laundered frequently. I also iron with starch, but not until I'm ready to cut.