Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   washable crayola markers- how do you remove? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washable-crayola-markers-how-do-you-remove-t314320.html)

nanna-up-north 02-16-2021 10:33 AM

washable crayola markers- how do you remove?

I've been told that washable crayola markers are great to use because the color comes off completely.

Well, I've been making a practice piece of quilting to prepare for a quilt I'm starting to quilt. I need to mark lines so I used purple washable crayola marker. I tried to spray water on but I can see a faint line.

So, I tried a cloth with soapy water and the faint line still remained.

How do you get the color out? Is there something better? I can't have faint lines left after I quilt.

Peckish 02-16-2021 10:50 AM

I've never used them, but according to the package directions, it should come out after washing.

I understand you tried soapy water, but it's probably going to need to be submerged in plenty of water.

Jingle 02-16-2021 11:03 AM

I use them all the time. Never had even one mark not come out. I finish the quilt totally. Wash in cold water tide and cold water. I haven't tried doing it like you did.

Julienm1 02-16-2021 11:08 AM

I've used them several time. When the quilt is ALL done into the wash it goes and then the drier. All the marks are gone.

Grey Lady 02-16-2021 11:23 AM

I've used the markers several times. Trying to spot clean an area never worker for me. After I tossed the finished quilt in the wash, all the marks were gone. My thinking is there wasn't evough time in the water when I did just a spot.

nanna-up-north 02-16-2021 11:55 AM

Thanks, everyone. I threw the little quilted sample in the washer and washed it. I did spray the lines with a spot remover. And, all the marks came out! Yeah! I guess I'm ready to put my quilt on the LA and mark away. I was afraid but you've all reassured me.

Onebyone 02-16-2021 12:11 PM

I started using them when I saw the markers washed completely out of the grands clothes. They are the only markers allowed in their classrooms now. I use the Ultra Washable.

Lady Diana 02-16-2021 12:35 PM

Did you iron over the marker? Even so, these marks should come out. Try dawn and see if it comes out.
I have not had any issues with the washable markers. Best wishes.

ekuw 02-17-2021 08:47 AM

I had the same thing happen when I used the orange marker, however I washed it twice and the lines still remained in one particular fabric. I am guessing that it was not pre-washed (I don't prewash my fabric, but lots of it was prewashed by the previous owner). Anyway, It must have reacted to the way that fabric was treated. I made a concentrated solution of oxyclean detergent & water, then scrubbed the marker lines with that using a toothbrush. Then I let it sit for a few hours then washed it for the 3rd time. Finally the marker came out.

Stitchnripper 02-17-2021 08:50 AM

I never prewash my fabric and my ultra markers always wash out. I use Costco pods. Interesting all the different outcomes.