Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washable marking pens-which brand to you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washable-marking-pens-brand-you-use-t220371.html)

Whigrose 04-30-2013 09:25 AM

Washable marking pens-which brand to you use?

Hi all,
This morning while dh was out running errands, I asked him to pick me up a washable marking pen at the LQS. Turns out the shop carries a different brand than the one I have used.

What brand marking pen do you use? Have you compared competing brands? Questions I'm thinking are - does one last longer than the other, wash out easier, or make a stronger mark?

Thanks for your feedback.

best,
d

dd 04-30-2013 09:56 AM

I usually use the kids crayola washable markers. That tip was given to me by a former quilt shop owner.

Suzette316 04-30-2013 10:07 AM

I've bought the pricey marking pens and they always dry out sooooo fast! Now I use Crayola washable markers. They are super cheap, you get 8 colors, so you can mark ANY color fabric easily and they wash out beautifully.

On another thread on this topic, I mentioned that I did a little experiment with the washable markers. I used each color on two different pieces of cream colored quilting fabric. On one piece I marked (again with each color) and set aside for a week. On the other piece, I again marked with each color, but I heat set the marks and put it aside for a week. Then I rinsed both pieces of fabric in tepid water. In seconds (about 5 to be exact) every bit of color came out of the piece that was simply marked. Nothing was left behind. On the heat set piece, all but the blue and the green disappeared completely in about ten to fifteen seconds. The blue and green faded, but did not totally disappear. (I know these aren't meant to be heat set, I figured why not see what would happen since I was taking the time to experiment anyway!):)

So I just wanted to share these results, but of course, as with any marker, test them on a scrap piece of the fabric in your quilt before marking the whole thing. :)

dd 04-30-2013 10:32 AM

I recently got out a piece that I started about 10 yrs ago. It had crayola washable markers on it. I finished it last week but when I rinsed it out there were still a few marks left on it. The brown was the one that didn't wash out completely. But it sat there for 10 years and could have been heat set. Some of the squares were ironed. I was impressed that that much came out. It's civil war colors so you really can't see it much.

Whigrose 04-30-2013 10:42 AM

Wow! Who would have thought of Crayola washables. I am definitely going to give them a try.

Thanks everyone.
best,
d

QuiltnNan 04-30-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 (Post 6036140)
I've bought the pricey marking pens and they always dry out sooooo fast! Now I use Crayola washable markers. They are super cheap, you get 8 colors, so you can mark ANY color fabric easily and they wash out beautifully.

On another thread on this topic, I mentioned that I did a little experiment with the washable markers. I used each color on two different pieces of cream colored quilting fabric. On one piece I marked (again with each color) and set aside for a week. On the other piece, I again marked with each color, but I heat set the marks and put it aside for a week. Then I rinsed both pieces of fabric in tepid water. In seconds (about 5 to be exact) every bit of color came out of the piece that was simply marked. Nothing was left behind. On the heat set piece, all but the blue and the green disappeared completely in about ten to fifteen seconds. The blue and green faded, but did not totally disappear. (I know these aren't meant to be heat set, I figured why not see what would happen since I was taking the time to experiment anyway!):)

So I just wanted to share these results, but of course, as with any marker, test them on a scrap piece of the fabric in your quilt before marking the whole thing. :)

thanks for sharing your experiments

Holice 04-30-2013 11:47 AM

I am told the wash out pens made by Kopah last longer than the others.

Nammie to 7 04-30-2013 04:37 PM

I'm going to try the washable crayola makers! Thanks for the info.

NanaCsews2 05-02-2013 10:50 AM

Crayola Erasable Colored Pencils. Works perfect! Erases easily and fast, and only when you want it to. No more markers for me. They have the eraser on the pencil, but I have used a dry washcloth and wiped it off. No mess.

nativetexan 05-02-2013 11:29 AM

I used the washable Crayola markers in green on a yellow border. yes, I tested. but going through a stencils slits I must have pressed harder. it took six washes and all kinds of products to get those marks out. mostly now, I use the blue wash out marker. clover I believe.