Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   washed or unwashed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washed-unwashed-t16862.html)

Quilter101 02-23-2009 11:21 AM

If it is a baby quilt I prewash to soften, otherwise I don't.

lyndawn 02-23-2009 11:41 AM

No washing here:) I too love the feel of unwashed fabric. It just isn't the same after washing.

Lynette

marty_mo 02-23-2009 12:40 PM

I don't pre-wash, I find it so much easier to work with unwashed fabric.

Knot Sew 02-23-2009 12:44 PM

a fun question...i really do both...but i do not use hot water and detergent.
The next ques is where do you buy your fabric and why....just joking that starts a lot of arguing......

If you store a lot of fabric in a closed room it does smell of chemicals....but the bugs won't eat it as it is treated.... I do wash brights just before i use them.....treat your fabric like your best clothes
:D

key4unc 02-23-2009 12:57 PM

I prewash fabrics that can be prewashed. But, when I buy pre-cut noodles or squares, they can't be prewashed. Most of my quilts go to Project Linus. And :oops: I smoke. So before I send any quilt to PL, I wash it twice--regardless of whether it was prewashed. I wash it once in regular detergent in a regular wash cycle since I figure that's the way it will be treated once it has been received by a child. I put Downy in the rinse cycle to make it soft. Then I wash it one more time using only baking soda in the wash cycle and plain water in the rinse cyce to get rid of the smell of the fabric softener and any remaining smoke smells. As soon as it comes out of the dryer, I put it in a sealable plastic baggie. I work with a lady who has the nose of a hound-dog and when she can't smell any residuals on the quilts, I send it to PL.

LindaR 02-24-2009 05:36 AM

I know my "closed in cabinet" has a weird odor if it hasn't been opened for awhile....probably the sizing. I really think "good" quiltshop fabric doesn't have a lot of sizing in it.

butterflywing 02-25-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S
Looks like I'm in the minority, but I always prewash. I don't want any surprises like colors that bleed or cottons that shrink a lot. Also, sometimes there's an odor from whatever sizing the manufacturer uses and I don't like that.

i agree. i do too then i starch to return the crispness for cutting.
i use hottest water and then the dryer. if it bleeds, i wash 2x in hot water.
i have never tried a color catcher. what is that?

LindaR 02-26-2009 09:38 AM

they are called "dye catchers" and are found in the dryer sheet section

Cathe 02-26-2009 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I know my "closed in cabinet" has a weird odor if it hasn't been opened for awhile....probably the sizing. I really think "good" quiltshop fabric doesn't have a lot of sizing in it.

Actually, it probably has a lot more. The VIP/Cranston fabrics are made in the US, so they don't get treated with pesticides. LQS fabrics are virtually all imported. That heavy, silky drape to quilt store fabrics is due to chemicals just as the stiffness in other fabrics is!

I prewash for chemicals and shrinkage. Moda, especially, shrinks a LOT.