Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing before selling? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-before-selling-t92920.html)

Julie in NM 01-23-2011 04:37 PM

Just don't understand why people are so afraid to wash/dry the quilts they make. Think about the the stitches in that sucker. How can it fall apart? I tell everyone I give a quilt to that is should be washed and dried like it was a towel and to add towels to balance the load.

I always wash/dry before giving away. Washing makes the quilting pop and I can see if I missed an area.Oh, and I dry it completely in the drier! Never an issue.

Linda Loo 01-23-2011 05:05 PM

I'm a "washer" as well. I want them clean and fresh for their new owner. I always let them know it's been washed, I tell them about Color Grabbers, and tell them how to launder in the future.

jaciqltznok 01-23-2011 05:38 PM

I always pr-ewash my fabric, and then wash my finished product to rid of quilting marks, threads, etc, and then I use sizing when I iron it and hang in with a pants hanger with a bag from the dry cleaners over it! I use everything fragrance free as well and put a care label with it!

Berta48 01-23-2011 08:37 PM

I do not wash prior to giving them away.However... I do tell them it hasn't been washed and it should be washed the first few times in COLD water and Woolite.

madamekelly 01-24-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
Good fabric still looks and feels good after it is washed - if it didn't there would be no point in making quilts. I use starch while I'm quilting, and I want it gone before I gift a quilt. Many people have smokers, cats, dogs, or other critters in their homes while they are quilting, and the recipient may have allergies. I can't think of a single reason why a quilt shouldn't be washed when it is gifted, even if the fabric was pre-washed.

I put most quilts in the dryer under low heat and take them out when they're still just a little damp. I then lay them on a clean surface (e.g. a sheet on the floor) for blocking, if that's necessary.

I have dogs, cats, and a smoker in the house, so I wash everything and put it in plastic bags as they come out of the dryer(where I let them cool), just before they go out the door (next to the dryer).

judi wess 01-25-2011 03:13 AM

I usually wash the hand quilted ones. I like to get any oils and soil/blood of the piece before calling it finished.

ckcowl 01-25-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Raggimom
I saw another thread about washing baby quilts before giving them away. In the same vein, should I wash the quilt before I list it for sale? I was thinking the same thing a couple ladies said--if it's going to fall apart, I want to know while I still have it! And if I wash it, should I put it in the dryer?

Thanks!

when i finish a quilt i wash and dry it the same way i believe the recipient will care for it. i want to know how it's going to handle it. and if i sold a quilt without washing it then the new owner washed it and a color ran or a seam came apart...they would not only be mad as all get out, but demanding their money back, i never want to be in that position, so i take on the task of ensuring it will handle laundering ok. i even washed my wool-silk-velvet-corduroy quilt...came out beautifully! tossed in the washer, tossed into the dryer...out FABULOUS!

Martha Hamman 01-26-2011 03:48 PM

I just saw your post. I live in the Shenandoah Valley, too. West of Edinburg.