Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing completed quilt top before quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-completed-quilt-top-before-quilting-t223763.html)

coopah 06-17-2013 03:54 AM

No washing before quilting. Unless you prewash the fabrics before they are cut. After that, it's a bit late. Just use a Color Catcher after the quilting/binding are done.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 06-17-2013 03:59 AM

I've never washed a quilt top and wouldn't take a chance on doing it. If I felt I really had to wash it I would try just soaking it in warm water,towel dryng and laying to dry. I've never tried this either but I think it would be more gentle then washing. You'd probably have to do a lot of pressing.

Reba'squilts 06-17-2013 04:13 AM

I took a top to my grandaughter's baby shower. I needed to quilt it so took it back but spilled juice from the pan the ham was cooked in all over the top. Duh...was really upset. Had to wash it...what a mess! I had to repair many little seams and it was a buggar to iron. So...no...don't wash until quilted!!

Grace MooreLinker 06-17-2013 05:30 AM

I was given 4 quilt tops that were from goodwill, they smelled bad, I soaked them in cold soap water and spun on gentle, then dried, there were some strings but in all not to bad. I would never have quilted them if I could not have
wash them. the ones I make ,I wait until they are quilted before washing.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-17-2013 07:00 AM

I would not wash it until it is finished and then throw in some colorcatchers. I made a quilt top with batik layer cakes and sashed it with plain black fabric. I became afraid it would bleed on the cherry backing so I washed it and the batik and cotton fabric did not lay straight afterwards. They must have shrunk some. I had to really iron it smooth again but I learned a good lesson from this.

ShirlinAZ 06-17-2013 07:18 AM

I did it once to try to save some tops my DGM made. Long story short - sewer line backed up into basement where tops were stored. Fortunately Grandma used wide seams because they did fray badly. I spent hours cutting balls of knots and loose threads and more hours trying to iron them flat. I will never again wash a top before it is quilted.

FroggyinTexas 06-17-2013 09:57 AM

And most experienced quilters said, "Amen!"

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6124272)
I agree completely with ckcowl. Never ever wash just a quilt top. It will be impossible to get it pressed again, the seams will all fray (and the threads will tangle up), and some of the seams may come undone as a result.

tenngal 06-17-2013 01:05 PM

I prewash all my fabric before I do anything else. You never know. But, I do not wash again before finishing.

Minia 02-28-2021 10:26 PM

Well... Tonight I just learned this lesson the hard way and I'm having to start over and build the quilt top again from scratch. I might stop crying by the end of the week....lol

Karamarie 03-01-2021 06:08 AM

In my early days, I washed some 80/20 batting. What a mess, totally unusable. I learned a good lesson what not to do.