Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing fabric before sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-before-sewing-t7183.html)

moonhoney2 05-15-2008 03:59 PM

Is it better to wash fabric before you sew, or after?

I've read that people prefer to wash before for shrinkage, but the directions for the kits I bought (100% cotton) say not to wash first. So I'm unsure what to do. :?

MissTreated 05-15-2008 04:04 PM

I think it's a personal thing. Some I do, some I don't. A bed quilt that is going to be laundered, I most definitely will. Wall hangings, not always. A lot of people believe because of the rigors batiks go through, they won't shrink, but I think some of them do.

It's up to you.

M

jbsstrawberry 05-15-2008 04:09 PM

What kind of kit is it? Normally, I prewash everything for quilting, but if its a kit that says do not, I don't. For some reason, if I'm making clothing I prefer not to prewash.

moonhoney2 05-15-2008 05:03 PM

THey are two small quilt kits. One is a small child's blanket, the other a 39x58in blanket. 100% cotton. One has the top and bottom layer, the other is only the top. Neither have the batting.

I guess I can wash one and not the other and see how they turn out? There is the thread and batting to think about too. Those shrink as well, right? So maybe it's better to wash it all when it's done so they can shrink at the same pace?

This wasn't supposed to be so complicated! :lol:

Moonpi 05-15-2008 05:10 PM

I would be willing to bet if the pieces are pre-cut, they are saying not to wash because of ravelling. If you don't wash the individual pieces, I'd certainly reccommend washing assembled top and backing before quilting. I use color grabber cloths that catch excess dye to be on the safe side.

amma 05-15-2008 05:32 PM

The fabric in the kits could also be from different fabric lines, they could end up shrinking differently and your blocks may not end up matching well. I would do like Moonpi said, just to be on the safe side.

rein 05-15-2008 05:33 PM

OK Moonpi - I BITE! What on earth is a "grabber cloth"?

jbsstrawberry 05-15-2008 05:37 PM

color grabbers are made by shout I do believe, you throw them in the washer with your fabric/clothes whatever, and if anything bleeds during the wash the grabber cloth catches it and keeps the dye out of the other fabrics.

mary705 05-16-2008 02:22 AM

I love those things. Use em in every load of laundry except my whites. Ans it is vy shout, JoAnns carries some too, but buy the Shot Color Catchers, and they even have a 55 cent off coupon on the inside of every box.

I washed all 62 of my FQ a couple weeks ago (many different colors) in one load and they came out beautifully.

tlrnhi 05-16-2008 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
color grabbers are made by shout I do believe, you throw them in the washer with your fabric/clothes whatever, and if anything bleeds during the wash the grabber cloth catches it and keeps the dye out of the other fabrics.

I should have had some of those on hand when I did hubbys whites. Didn't realize there was a burgandy pillow case stuck in the washer and I didn't see it. Well, needless to say...he won't wear his pink underwear lol