Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabric-t60903.html)

Colbaltjars62 08-25-2010 05:19 PM

I'll check to see if Harbor freight to see if they have any.. lol Lord knows they have everything else...
:-D

martapr 08-25-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
i only wash batiks. they are a bleeding mess in many of their colors. or if I think that it will bleed then i will but otherwise i don't.

I made a quilt but never washed the fabric. In the quilt I made, is a purplish batik used as sashing. I've been wanting to wash it in cold water and in gentle cycle but I'm afraid it might bleed. What do I do?

dgrindey 08-25-2010 05:39 PM

I don't wash before using fabric.

costumegirl 08-25-2010 05:54 PM

Many of my friends do not pre-wash and have not had problems but I definitely do pre-wash now all the time. The only time I do not is when using jelly rolls.

I have had a few problems in the past. One was with uneven shrinkage of fabrics where after washing a finished project, some fabrics did shrink alot while others in the piece were very little or did not - it produced an uneven puckering effect. I have also had fabrics bleed after a project has been completed - what a mess and all that work almost ruined! Thank goodness for color catchers, Retayne and Synthropol!

martapr 08-25-2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Many of my friends do not pre-wash and have not had problems but I definitely do pre-wash now all the time. The only time I do not is when using jelly rolls.

I have had a few problems in the past. One was with uneven shrinkage of fabrics where after washing a finished project, some fabrics did shrink alot while others in the piece were very little or did not - it produced an uneven puckering effect. I have also had fabrics bleed after a project has been completed - what a mess and all that work almost ruined! Thank goodness for color catchers, Retayne and Synthropol!

Actually, I went out and bought the Shout color catcher because I really need to wash my quilt that has the purplish batik which I'm afraid to wash.

Cheshirecatquilter 08-25-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I don't wash. Nice to know that Batiks bleed. I make several baby quilts and always warn the recipients that the quilts should be washed separately the first few times.

Oh, honey, please have mercy on new mothers and don't make them wash things separately. They won't have the time nor the energy, and will appreciate your generous gift all the more if it can just be tossed in with the general wash without fear of it muddying or splotching that dirty mountain of pastel baby clothes.

FQ Stash Queen 08-25-2010 08:24 PM

No. Many quilts, especially ones I use for wall hangings I don't, especially since so many of the pieces are from small scraps in my stash. When using batiks or doing a swap, I wash in cold water on gentle with an odorless colorless detergent and add one of those color sheets that catch the color. I know Shout makes the ones I use. I just washed 15 different fabrics, some of them batiks and had no problems

zz-pd 08-25-2010 08:31 PM

I wash and don't wash, just depends. God bless.

Colbaltjars62 08-25-2010 08:34 PM

Same here.

annette1952 08-25-2010 09:41 PM

I always wash the fabrics when I first get them. Then dry & fold. I only iron when I am ready to use them.