Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-fabrics-t270879.html)

crowley7 10-08-2015 03:46 PM

Washing fabrics

I have a great deal of fabric that I would like to cut into precut shapes. 10 inch, Jelly Roll, and charms. Should I wash the fabric before cutting up? Thank You.

Stitchnripper 10-08-2015 03:59 PM

I am not a pre washer but if I were going to pre wash I would do it before cutting

PaperPrincess 10-08-2015 04:03 PM

This is the whole wash/not wash can of worms. I'm a pre washer, so I would wash the fabric first.

zozee 10-08-2015 04:04 PM

Yes. Wash it first. Small pieces tend to ravel and stretch out of shape easily in the wash.

dunster 10-08-2015 04:25 PM

I'm a pre-washer, so I would have already washed it as soon as it came in the door. However, I'm wondering why you're cutting the fabric up? I know there's the Bonnie Hunter system of cutting scraps into certain sizes so there's always plenty to make her scrap quilts, but I always thought that was more for scraps than for yardage. I prefer to keep my stash in whatever size it is until I know what I want to do with it. Of course if you've already got a plan for your yardage, cutting it up may make complete sense.

bearisgray 10-08-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7339960)
I'm a pre-washer, so I would have already washed it as soon as it came in the door. However, I'm wondering why you're cutting the fabric up? I know there's the Bonnie Hunter system of cutting scraps into certain sizes so there's always plenty to make her scrap quilts, but I always thought that was more for scraps than for yardage. I prefer to keep my stash in whatever size it is until I know what I want to do with it. Of course if you've already got a plan for your yardage, cutting it up may make complete sense.

What she said.

joe'smom 10-08-2015 04:44 PM

If you're going to wash the fabric before using it in a quilt, definitely wash it before cutting.

cathyvv 10-08-2015 05:08 PM

I have chemical sensitivities so rarely use unwashed fabrics. All my fabric is dried in the dryer. It is folded after it comes out of the dryer and stored. When I want to use it, I iron it.

It's a lot of work if you are cutting it all at once. But if you plan to take your time about it, it is not unreasonable to do.

But if you normally sew with unwashed fabrics, then I don't see any reason to pre-wash before cutting. Of course, there are exceptions - flannel!

Dolphyngyrl 10-08-2015 05:52 PM

Wash if you are a prewashwer, don't if you are not. It is a choice you have to make. There are pros and cons to each and each quilter has their own preference as to why or why not

BETTY62 10-08-2015 06:06 PM

I always pre wash because that's what I was taught to do when I first started quilting and old habits are hard to break. LOL