Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing a new quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-new-quilt-t289427.html)

tallchick 07-04-2017 12:19 PM

Like others, I just wash them the way I think they will be washed in their new home. I then do a thourough inspection and make sure there are no threads anywhere and check the binding and then off to the recipient.

Juliebelle 07-04-2017 12:25 PM

I wash mine on my washers bulky bedding setting but change all the wash and rinse to cold water. I use 2 pr 3 color catchers depending on what colors are in the quilt. I dry on delicate cycle and check it about half way thru, I try to take it out before completely dry and lay it out to finish drying.

Eva Knight 07-04-2017 01:19 PM

I put my quilts in the washer and dryer just as I do anything I wash. If I had to baby my quilts, it would take all the fun out of making and using them. I want then to be used and loved but, I also don't them to be an issue when it comes to washing them.

bkay 07-04-2017 02:08 PM

I have one of those goofy washers, too. I was going to save a ton on money on water, plus save the planet from certain destruction. It squirts water through the clothes, so try washing a bathroom rug. I hate it.

See if one of your settings is "deep water wash". I'd set it on light wash, cold water and with just a little detergent. That's what I would use on my machine.

bkay

Jingle 07-04-2017 05:01 PM

I prewash all my fabrics. I wash fabrics in cold water tide and three or four color catchers. I reuse them until they shred. I dry them in the dryer on regular. I donate them to kids removed from their homes. I want to make sure they will hold up. I doubt most, if not all people will wash the life out of them.

Quilts I keep for us I wash and dry differently.

Mitch's mom 07-05-2017 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7857810)
I prewash all my fabrics. I wash fabrics in cold water tide and three or four color catchers. I reuse them until they shred. I dry them in the dryer on regular. I donate them to kids removed from their homes. I want to make sure they will hold up. I doubt most, if not all people will wash the life out of them.

Quilts I keep for us I wash and dry differently.

Same here except for gift quilts I wash them in hot water and dry on hot to make sure they hold up because I trust no one to read any instructions I would send with the quilt.

NZquilter 07-05-2017 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7857587)
I generally do no pre wash my fabrics before making a quilt but I do wash the quilt when it is finished. I toss in a color catcher (just in case) & I wash on the regular washing cycle only the speed wash which doesn't take as long as a normal cycle. I use warm water temperature & then toss in dryer on medium heat.

That is what I do too. Nothing fancy.

duckydo 07-05-2017 01:23 PM

I like to wash mine one gentle cycle, cool water, also I throw in a couple of color catchers just incase something might run. I don't like to dry mine in the dryer, if they are everyday quilts that are just gonna be thrown around I do, otherwise I lay them out on a sheet to air dry.

ckcowl 07-05-2017 04:48 PM

I launder every quilt I make as the final step to completion- last stitch of binding; into the washer. Doesn't matter if I prewashed fabrics or not. I put the quilt in the washer, regular detergent, regular cycle, warm water. Then I put it into the dryer, regular cycle. I've been doing this with every quilt for more than 20 years- even my wool appliqué quilts were laundered when done. I figure who ever is going to get the quilt is going to at some point launder it so I do the first time. That way if anything ( unforeseen) should happen I find it first- and can fix/ deal with it. Even award winning show quilts were laundered when finished. Only ones not ( by me) are wall hangings I don't expect to ever be laundered.

ktbb 07-06-2017 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7857576)
I have always washed mine the way I think recipients will - throw in washer, usually cold, then into dryer. that's what they will do so I do it first and inspect. I am not a prewasher and do use color catchers. I got a new washer but it has an agitator and the ability to fill it up even though it is an HE. It is ginormous, top loader, and so far have had good luck with the 8 quilts I have made since getting it. don't have a clothes line so not an option for me.

agree - do it the way recipients will do it. if it's for me - I just use a regular wash and dry,