Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing a Quilt before gifting it. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-quilt-before-gifting-t313005.html)

Panchita 11-06-2020 12:47 PM

I always wash before gifting, for all (well, most of - I don't have pets, lol) the reasons given above

quiltingshorttimer 11-06-2020 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Stitchnripper;8430569]

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8430566)
I don't--I don't like the look of it. I do include washing instructions and Colorcatchers. I always check fabrics for possible running and deal with it before I even cut if it's a problem.[/QUOTE

but what happens after the recipient washes it and it looks different and they think they ruined it?

my washing instructions include that there will be some shrinkage and "crinkling" to the quilt after the first washing.

sewingsuz 11-06-2020 06:58 PM

I always wash a quilt when I am finished.

Macybaby 11-07-2020 02:12 AM

Fabric gets washed as before it gets put in the stash, and finished quilts get washed before they go out the door.

The drier in my quilting studio has a steam cycle (refresh) and that works really well to get off cat fur and remove wrinkles from quilts that have been washed but have been sitting folded for a while before finding homes.

Debbie Ness 11-07-2020 06:09 AM

I also have a response to Bearisgray's question about not puckering. I made a king quilt for my bed and used fleece for the batting. After I washed, there was no crinkling and it looked like it had never been washed.

tropit 11-07-2020 06:18 AM

I always, 100% of the time, wash the quilt before giving it away. Why? Ditto what SusieQOH says: Possible bleeding, open seams and a cat that loves my quilts a little too much. I also like the puckered look. Besides looking cool, it hides a multitude of sins.

Jingle 11-07-2020 03:39 PM

I don't consider a quilt finished until it is washed and dried.

SusieQOH 11-09-2020 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8430886)
I always, 100% of the time, wash the quilt before giving it away. Why? Ditto what SusieQOH says: Possible bleeding, open seams and a cat that loves my quilts a little too much. I also like the puckered look. Besides looking cool, it hides a multitude of sins.

Make that 2 cats hahaha!!!

loisf 11-09-2020 01:26 PM

Since I glue baste my quilts, they all get washed before they are gifted. I prefer the "flatter" look, so actually iron the quits, front and back, after they're washed. This also helps me remove any threads that linger even after washing.

Railroadersbrat 11-10-2020 10:26 AM

If I am super confident with my stitching, what I do when I give it to the recipient is I wash it with them the first time. That way, I can teach them how to wash it correctly and should a stray thread pop out, I can show them how to properly handle that. I can also explain what kind of detergent is best for their quilt and why. I always prewash my fabrics unless its a jelly roll or charm pack, so I'm not overly concerned with bleeding, but washing it with them, I can show why its important to either wash in cold water or use a color catcher when they wash in warm. Its a good teaching moment.

​​​​​​

​​​​