Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   washing a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-quilt-t61816.html)

ptquilts 08-28-2010 05:24 AM

Just getting through washing an embroidered quilt in the bath tub - am I the only one who tastes the final rinse water to make sure all the soap is out? DH laughs at me for doing it, but it is a white quilt and if you don't get all the soap out, you get those brown stains as it dries.
Now to wrap it in a bedsheet, spin it in my washing machine (a few rusty spots on inside of machine, that's why the sheet) and hang on the line. Nice sunny, non-windy weather, polyester batting, should be dry by this afternoon.

Moonpi 08-28-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Just getting through washing an embroidered quilt in the bath tub - am I the only one who tastes the final rinse water to make sure all the soap is out?

I've never felt the need to do that, but if it works for you...

raptureready 08-28-2010 05:32 AM

Nope, I've got to say that that's a new one on me but like she said, if it works for you. . . . .

wvdek 08-28-2010 05:33 AM

Ummm, did you say a bad word?

Nope, never done that.

Whatever works for you.

Annaquilts 08-28-2010 05:36 AM

No I guess I am a bad girl. Open front load washer, pop in quilt, wash, pull out and either put in dryer for that crinled look or hang over rail of porch to dry.

keelybird57 08-28-2010 05:41 AM

Will bath tub washing get out starch? I never used starch before, but am finding it handy in certain places. But I feel the need to wash it out when done. Wondering the best way to do that?

mamaw 08-28-2010 05:56 AM

Sorry; but never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't dream of tasting laundry water...rinsed or otherwise lol.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-28-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Ummm, did you say a bad word?

Nope, never done that.

Whatever works for you.

HAHAHA that was my first thought :D
Hey, whatever works for you!@!

retired2pa 08-28-2010 07:38 AM

Never done that :) As a matter of fact, yesterday I washed (in my washer) an embroidered wall hanging. I used the "Hand Wash" setting with cold water and it came out beautiful. I have a white border and one of the panels is red! I was afraid it would "bleed" but it didn't :) I didn't "taste" anything, though...LOL

grann of 6 08-28-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Just getting through washing an embroidered quilt in the bath tub - am I the only one who tastes the final rinse water to make sure all the soap is out? DH laughs at me for doing it, but it is a white quilt and if you don't get all the soap out, you get those brown stains as it dries.
Now to wrap it in a bedsheet, spin it in my washing machine (a few rusty spots on inside of machine, that's why the sheet) and hang on the line. Nice sunny, non-windy weather, polyester batting, should be dry by this afternoon.

I just look to make sure the water doesn't have any bubbles on the surface. I just did an antique embroidered quilt in the washer on gentle and dried it in the dryer and it came out beautifully. I am not one for all that manual labor bathtub laundry requires; brings back too many memories of childhood. If there is a modern convenience I will take advantage of it.