Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing red and white quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-red-white-quilt-top-t289816.html)

Sewdust 07-22-2017 05:17 AM

Washing red and white quilt top

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to wash this king-sized quilt top before I send it to my long arm lady. The red fabric was washed three times before I started piecing with it; however, a scrap that I test-washed today still bleeds red dye. What would be the best way to wash this quilt without having the red dye bleed into the white background? Thank you for your help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576996[/ATTACH]

SusieQOH 07-22-2017 05:25 AM

Oh my gosh, that quilt is Stunning!!!!!!!!! Isn't there a product called Synthopol (not sure of the spelling) that will prevent bleeding? I'm sure someone else can help you. I'm always afraid of reds and it's a shame because I love the color.
You did a fabulous job!!!

Snooze2978 07-22-2017 05:31 AM

I made up a logcabin quilt made of blues, reds and whites. Once quilted I washed it using my color catcher sheet. Didn't notice the bleeding till after I pulled it from the dryer...Egads!!!!! Thought it was a goner but someone here told me to just wash it again using the color catcher and sure enough it came out with no bleeding and what did bleed prior was gone.

I never wash my fabrics but I do starch them so if any bleeding is going to happen I'll know about it then. I always use color catchers when I wash the quilts before I give them out as gifts cause I know the recipent would have a hayday if it happened to them so I try to alleviate the anxiety for them.

Annie68 07-22-2017 05:35 AM

beautiful quilt! I wouldn't wash it before it is quilted. At some point when it needs washing, use a handful of "color catchers" and cold water.

bearisgray 07-22-2017 05:35 AM

That top is Spectacular!

I know that you will get many suggestions for what to do next - -

My suggestions "for next time" - I have now started to soak all my fabrics in hot water (I do let it cool down naturally) for at least three hours to see if the dyes are stable. (There was an article by someone somewhere that she let her fabrics soak even longer) - If the water changes color, I will change the water two or three times until I am comfortable enough with that piece to wash it with a load of white socks.

If the piece is still coloring the water with Kool-Aid intensity after several rinses - I will try to return it if I still have the sales receipt - I consider it to be faulty. If I don't have a receipt, I discard it. In the wastebasket. Not to be used.

Some fabrics color the water the moment they get wet. Some take longer. And some leave the water as clear as can be.

I have had at least one of every color be a bleeder. And I have had many of every color leave the water clear. I can't tell ahead of time what they will do.

Some people are willing to try Retayne or other dye-setting products which are used Before sewing the pieces together.

There are excess dye suspending or loose dye picker-uppers - but I have not used them.

I learned that "just washing" is not adequate when I sprayed some sizing on some red and some blue pieces of washed RJR fabrics (long time ago - maybe their dyes have changed since then) I did not appreciate the red and blue on the pale gray fabric I was using with them.

QuiltnNan 07-22-2017 05:58 AM

i would not wash it prior to quilting, either. too much of a chance of raveling beyond repair. the others have given good advice for washing afterwards

Tartan 07-22-2017 06:25 AM

I would not recommend washing an unquilted top. You are going to get tons of fraying and with those tiny piece, maybe some holes. It is a stunning top and have it quilted and wash only if necessary after. To wash I would do a cold water wash with Color Catchers and check for any bleeds before drying.

tropit 07-22-2017 07:11 AM

OMG! your quilt is gorgeous! Just send it over to me for "storage." I have the perfect bed to put it on. :D

I agree with the color catchers idea. I also agree with the idea of not washing it first. But do wash it after it is quilted. It will be much easier and less fragile then.

~ C

bearisgray 07-22-2017 07:14 AM

Absolutely do not wash it before it is quilted - make sure that your backing fabric is washed if you washed to top fabrics before sending it to the LAer.

bakermom 07-22-2017 09:13 AM

I would not wash just the top. Too much risk for fraying etc.