Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Washing yardage used as background with jelly roll (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/washing-yardage-used-background-jelly-roll-t284033.html)

Jeananne 11-26-2016 06:28 AM

Washing yardage used as background with jelly roll

I found a great little quilt pattern using s jelly rolls and it called for yardage for the background. Since I'm not washing the jelly roll should I not wash the yardage either? I'm thinking once washed after quilted it would look different between the two. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

GEMRM 11-26-2016 07:34 AM

I don't see a big difference in using washed yardage with unwashed jelly rolls. The jelly roll fabric is so narrow, that the amount of shrinkage isn't great when you look at it as a percentage?

popover 11-26-2016 08:14 AM

I don't ever wash anything but batiks, cheaper reds and blacks (which shouldn't go in a quilt anyway), and haven't for many years. Modern fabrics don't usually bleed like the old ones. And I never could see the sense in washing OUT the sizing, then having to STARCH it again. And I have been quilting since the early 70's.

CanoePam 11-26-2016 11:49 AM

If you have already washed the yardage I wouldn't worry about it. If you haven't, I would certainly not go to the trouble of washing it. I am another person who does not pre-wash fabrics except reds and flannels. I might get bit some day, but I am willing to take the risk. Since the precuts can't be washed before piecing, I don't worry about the yardage being pre-washed.

Pam

quiltingcandy 11-26-2016 01:03 PM

I wash my pre-cuts (either in a salad spinner or put them in a net laundry bag). But the other ladies don't, so you shouldn't have a problem. The reason I pre-wash is because of what the chemicals do to my fingers if I don't, not because of what the fabric will do.

Bjbaxter 11-26-2016 02:21 PM

I have made quilts with both washed an unwashed fabrics, including jelly rolls. I have not had a issue using both fabrics in any quilt.

Ariannaquilts 11-26-2016 03:16 PM

The answer to this question is always what you think is best for you. As someone who was taught to always wash the fabric I do it because it is ingrained but also because I think about the day that I don't do it and my quilt is destroyed! That being said I never wash my precuts.

Geri B 11-27-2016 04:59 AM

Don't bother pre washing. After it's been quilted and when it is washed, the quilting will control the shrinkage......btw-what percentage of shrinkage is there in cotton fabric?

Mkotch 11-28-2016 03:48 AM

A rep. from a fabric company recently spoke at our local guild meeting. He said that cotton fabric should always be prewashed because it all shrinks a little and each piece you use in a quilt can shrink a different percentage if you wash after putting it together. however, this has never been a problem for me. I do wash batiks, reds, and hot pinks with color catchers, just to make sure the color doesn't run.