Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Water/ Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/water-iron-t105922.html)

knlsmith 03-08-2011 06:05 AM

I use distilled but once in awhile I splash in a little tap water just because one of my manuals said to go back and forth if you have hard water. We have VERY hard water. Also, I read not to use water from a water softener. Think it's because of the salt in it.

crashnquilt 03-08-2011 06:39 AM

I use half tap and half distilled in my irons. I've had my Rowenta for about 6 years without a problem. I have heard if you have a water softner you shouldn't use that water in your iron.

Blue Bell 03-08-2011 06:41 AM

I am lazy and do not empty my iron. But I am supposed to empty it.

petpainter 03-08-2011 06:44 AM

I have recently found out why. Although I have ALWAYS used distilled water and do clean it, I never emptied it every day because I use it every day of my life and thought it was a pain. Then- it just stopped steaming...I super cleaned it- soaked with iron cleaner, and with vinegar as recommended. I shook it and rinsed it and you would have thought I was mining! The huge blobs of build-up was unbelievable!I had to take pieces out with tweezers. I kept rinsing it with water, but it was black and so much sediment, I had a new Oliso in the cupboard I took out and will now empty it every night.

Lizzytish 03-08-2011 08:24 AM

Now this makes sense the sediment in the water settles and stays in the iron. Okay I'm sold.
Thanks petpainter

sharoney 03-08-2011 08:27 AM

I have a Bosch iron- I've never emptied it, except by using it. I use half tap, half distilled.

Ritacarl 03-08-2011 08:50 AM

I've always been very loyal to my irons and emptied the water while the iron was hot, pushed the steam tab to high and let it steam out. Altho I was so faithful, they lost their ability to steam, shot out hunks of lime, etc. Then I bought a $6 from Walmart, never emptied the water and it steams, gets hotter than my good iron. I will never buy an expensive iron again. If my Walmart keeps up the good work, I may never have to buy an iron again.
Rita

nangars 03-08-2011 09:39 AM

Oliso iron, I think I don't have my iron set right, it doesn't seem to be a hot has other irons that I have had.

Is there a special setting to make it hotter.

I love the iron other than that, but I too, don't empty the water out of it. I use it almost every day while I am working on quilting pieces.

Melinda in Tulsa 03-08-2011 09:48 AM

I have never emptied the water out of my iron(s). To be perfectly honest, I don't know how!

dunster 03-08-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter
I have recently found out why. Although I have ALWAYS used distilled water and do clean it, I never emptied it every day because I use it every day of my life and thought it was a pain. Then- it just stopped steaming...I super cleaned it- soaked with iron cleaner, and with vinegar as recommended. I shook it and rinsed it and you would have thought I was mining! The huge blobs of build-up was unbelievable!I had to take pieces out with tweezers. I kept rinsing it with water, but it was black and so much sediment, I had a new Oliso in the cupboard I took out and will now empty it every night.

Why would there be sediment in distilled water? Is it possible that the build-up was coming from something else, maybe some part of the iron that had deteriorated? (Just guessing, and hoping that my failure to empty out the water won't ruin my iron.)