Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Water In Your Iron or A Spray Bottle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/water-your-iron-spray-bottle-t262844.html)

Doggramma 03-20-2015 08:35 AM

My iron is spitting out brown spots despite multiple cleanings. So, lesson learned. No more water in the iron for me!

citruscountyquilter 03-20-2015 09:30 AM

Spray bottle and dry iron for me. I don't like the mess of water in the iron and I don't have to worry about burning myself as readily with a dry iron.

Geri B 03-20-2015 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by oklahomamom2 (Post 7133177)
Spray bottle, the only reason I say is, because I was watching the quilt show and Ricky Tims said it is better to have a spray bottle with water because over time the water can mess up your iron.

I use nursery water on my irons.....no calcium build up.....needless to say, I use steam. I read, but haven't tried yet, that putting vinegar in iron will clean it...just like in coffee pots? Has anyone tried that..

SusanSusan33 03-20-2015 10:10 AM

I use the steam feature, but I may need to change to using a spray bottle. My Rowenta steams perfectly fine, but maybe too well....

The steam goes through the bottom of my ironing board and I get water drips/ spots on the floor. It actually goes through the metal and sometimes it's rusty loking from the bottom of the ironing board... It's so weird and for weeks I thought my kids had dripped something onto the floor.

caspharm 03-20-2015 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7133173)
Spray bottle only for me. In my experience, all irons spit hot water and dirt eventually, and I'm tired of it.

I'm with you.

ghostrider 03-20-2015 11:36 AM

Water in my $6 WalMart iron because I want the fabric immediately steamed, not wet and then heated. It makes a major difference...sort of like boiling vs steaming veggies. LOL

I've never had an iron spit or leave stains on anything and I've been ironing all sorts of stuff (even my sister's hair way back when that was the cool thing to do) for over half a century. I was taught in 7th grade Home Ec. to empty the water out of the iron when I was finished using it, so that may be why they don't spit for me...or maybe it's that they've all used nothing but cold, fresh well water. :)

I'm curious though...did Craftsy give a reason WHY you should 'never' put water in your iron? There are so very few 'nevers' in quilting and most of them relate to sharp tools and avoiding bodily injury. ;)

donnajean 03-20-2015 11:40 AM

Water in my iron & my Rowenta gives extra shot of steam for stubborn wrinkles.

PenniF 03-20-2015 02:35 PM

I spritz.....
1) it eliminates the possibility of nasty sputter that can mark the fabric

2) more importantly -- i got tired of steam bursts that burned my left hand while holding small pieces to press.

juneayerza 03-20-2015 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 (Post 7134490)
I use the steam feature, but I may need to change to using a spray bottle. My Rowenta steams perfectly fine, but maybe too well....

The steam goes through the bottom of my ironing board and I get water drips/ spots on the floor. It actually goes through the metal and sometimes it's rusty loking from the bottom of the ironing board... It's so weird and for weeks I thought my kids had dripped something onto the floor.

This happened to me too. I blamed my poor little dog at first since I could not find another explanation for the liquid on the floor.

Bluebonnets 03-20-2015 10:38 PM

Spray bottle for me for the same reason, sputtering irons.