Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Watercolor quilting ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/watercolor-quilting-t92451.html)

custompolz 01-21-2011 07:22 AM

Does anyone do the watercolor quilting? I have done a bit and am going to attempt another. I see several block / stamp exchanges and would love to see one that swaped the 2" large print fabrics used for the watercolor quilting. Anybody else?

twinkie 01-21-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the only water color I have done. It was done with 2" squares. It looks like the squares are curved on the right, but actually it was the photographer. I enjoyed doing it and I am doing one for the church. Good Luck

Watercolor Wall Hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]165014[/ATTACH]

k3n 01-21-2011 11:23 AM

That is beautiful. This is something I've wanted to try for ages - would be a good scrap buster too!

custompolz 01-21-2011 11:37 AM

Very nice ... yes a good scrap buster ... but would still love a 2" block exchange - can't get the same fabrics here as I did in other parts of the country so an exchange would be alot of fun!

twinkie 01-21-2011 02:40 PM

If you were doing a Watercolor in 2" squares, the only way I would know to do a swap is to give a list of colors you want to do in your water color. Then the one wanting the material could say, "I need shades of red, yellow, blue and green in very small floral prints". Or, "I need shades of purple, orange pink and grey in blender, tonal or batiks". The party sending the material would then send perhaps 50 2" squares that would fit that description. I do know that all swaps have to be approved by administration. You might think about it and maybe you or someone else could organize a swap. To me, the most difficult part of a Watercolor is selecting the right colors. If you go to your LQS or a chain fabric store, you can find a fusible interfacing with a 2" grid on it. It makes Watercolors much easier to do. Good Luck

Originally Posted by custompolz
Very nice ... yes a good scrap buster ... but would still love a 2" block exchange - can't get the same fabrics here as I did in other parts of the country so an exchange would be alot of fun!

davidwent 01-21-2011 02:51 PM

Does anyone do the watercolor quilting? I have done a bit and am going to attempt another. I see several block / stamp exchanges and would love to see one that swaped the 2" large print fabrics used for the watercolor quilting. Anybody else?

This sounds like a great idea! Why don't you start one. I would definitely join
David

twinkie 01-21-2011 03:49 PM

David, I am almost 70, work full time at WalMart, quilt, do many crafts, crochet and have a 69 year old child (DH LOL) and am in charge of the LAQ Directory at the top of the Classified Section. I just don't have the time to do that but I am sure someone could do that. The 2" squares could also be used in a Trip around the world or many other patterns, not just Watercolor. I would be willing to join if someone starts one.

Originally Posted by davidwent

This sounds like a great idea! Why don't you start one. I would definitely join
David

CarrieAnne 01-21-2011 03:59 PM

thats a beautiful quilt!

custompolz 01-21-2011 04:33 PM

True ... for me, the watercolor is as much about movement as it is color and so I use mostly the larger prints. I would be a bit less concerned about color in an exchange because I "separate them" in a general sence much like most of us do with fat quarters. Just a general idea of those are mostly blues - that kind of thing. So I could really enjoy just having a bunch of different blocks with differing colors and movement to them. More options to play with.

Originally Posted by twinkie
If you were doing a Watercolor in 2" squares, the only way I would know to do a swap is to give a list of colors you want to do in your water color. Then the one wanting the material could say, "I need shades of red, yellow, blue and green in very small floral prints". Or, "I need shades of purple, orange pink and grey in blender, tonal or batiks". The party sending the material would then send perhaps 50 2" squares that would fit that description. I do know that all swaps have to be approved by administration. You might think about it and maybe you or someone else could organize a swap. To me, the most difficult part of a Watercolor is selecting the right colors. If you go to your LQS or a chain fabric store, you can find a fusible interfacing with a 2" grid on it. It makes Watercolors much easier to do. Good Luck

twinkie 01-23-2011 11:46 AM

Thank you. That was my first watercolor and I really enjoyed doing it. They had a "class" at our quilt guild.

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
thats a beautiful quilt!