Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Waterproof fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waterproof-fabric-t146911.html)

lynn_z 08-21-2011 08:48 PM

I was fortunate to receive a little over 6 yds of fabric which is a pleasing enough color for backing....turns out it is trenchcoat brown. I was told later that it was London Fog factory fabric. I will throw it in the washer tomorrow but are their any considerations I should know about before I incorporate it into a quilt? Is there any way to unwaterproof it or does it even matter? Some of it will go to a local warming center this winter but I'm thinking about just leaving some of it as it is and making outdoor coverings for the homeless? It's about double the normal weight of good cottons. Appreciate any imput.

amma 08-21-2011 08:58 PM

Maybe make ponchos out of it? :D:D:D

Annaleehunter 08-21-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
I was fortunate to receive a little over 6 yds of fabric which is a pleasing enough color for backing....turns out it is trenchcoat brown. I was told later that it was London Fog factory fabric. I will throw it in the washer tomorrow but are their any considerations I should know about before I incorporate it into a quilt? Is there any way to unwaterproof it or does it even matter? Some of it will go to a local warming center this winter but I'm thinking about just leaving some of it as it is and making outdoor coverings for the homeless? It's about double the normal weight of good cottons. Appreciate any imput.

Just think of it as 'very' dense!

lynn_z 08-21-2011 09:12 PM

That's the word I was looking for...poncho. It rains a lot here and don't kn ow how it would hold up, tho. Probably should be okay and that would be simple to do...thanks.

earthwalker 08-21-2011 10:31 PM

If it's waterproof it would be handy if anyone was sleeping rough. I think it would be good for backing a quilt/bedroll, the density would keep the damp out.

danece 08-21-2011 11:28 PM

I think you are doing a great service by providing some comfort for the homeless, I like the poncho idea, but you could do anything and most of them would really appreciate any help, hose about a sit-up-on, that's just a small quilt, one side could be your waterproof fabric,Bless you

MsEithne 08-21-2011 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
That's the word I was looking for...poncho. It rains a lot here and don't kn ow how it would hold up, tho. Probably should be okay and that would be simple to do...thanks.

Consider the climate in England: wet!

London Fog raincoats work well because they are loosely fitted and they have a loose cape over the shoulders, which helps shed the rain.

A poncho with a hood and a similar shoulder cape would be easy to do and work quite well in keeping the wearer dry. Depending on how long you make the poncho, of course.

A great advantage of ponchos is that they can be spread out to cover one's belongings as well.

Little RoO 08-22-2011 12:15 AM

Hi...just a word of caution....actually washing waterproof fabrics can damage its waterproofness....especially if using detergents....if you can get away not washing it that might be better.

lynn_z 08-22-2011 08:14 AM

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I think poncho is the way to go and certainly quicker than a quilt. I don't even need a pattern except for the hood. I'll add a pocket or two!