Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Waverly Quilting Cotton (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waverly-quilting-cotton-t297635.html)

bearisgray 06-16-2018 04:45 AM

Waverly Quilting Cotton

I bought several coordinating pieces of Moda at a Goodwill a couple of summers ago (an unusual find!) and I then went and purchased a yard of a coordinating solid print of Waverly cotton from Walmart.

My impressions - these are all unwashed fabrics - but I have washed the Waverly cottons and I think they wash up nicely - that they all feel nice, but the Waverly has fewer threads per square inch than the Moda.

My experience with Moda - some of the prints are nicer than others and "behave" better -
I have had experience with excess dye/bleeding from some of their fabrics - an intense yellow marble and some of the reds. I had another one that seemed very coarse and ravelled a lot.

I do not know how either line will hold up long-term.

jokir44 06-16-2018 04:57 AM

Many years ago Waverly was a good brand. It was smooth, had a little sheen, dense. I've made several dresses with it. Their decorator fabric was also nice. I haven't looked at it in years so I can't give you any input on the present day goods.

Onebyone 06-16-2018 05:26 AM

Waverly cotton fabric is looser weave then quilting cotton fabric. It's great for projects.

quilting cat 06-16-2018 05:29 AM

I have only had experience with Waverly decorator fabrics, but if it has fewer threads per inch than Moda, and is 100% cotton, it should work out fine.

Irishrose2 06-16-2018 06:52 AM

The silky Northcutt fabrics I have been using a lot lately are more coarsely woven than most of my other fabrics. It is gorgeous stuff, but it does ravel more and, in a few places when I was FMQ and had to unstitch an area, a thread pulled and made an off color line. It doesn't feel right to be using a permanent marker to color an unfinished quilt of good fabric. Markers aren't available in enough colors, either.
I love Moda fabrics. Their marble swirls are my favorite for backgrounds. I used every color in my granddaughter's Jewel Box quilt. Edit: I ran out of the turquoise marble swirl and when I bought more, it was a different weave than the 12 yards or so I had previously purchased. The color wasn't as intense, either. Have they changed their greige?
I don't think I have any Waverly fabric other than upholstery weight.

QuiltnNan 06-16-2018 07:55 AM

thanks for the comparison of fabrics

Jingle 06-16-2018 02:54 PM

My daughter bought a bunch of Waverly fabrics for quilt making. She pre washes all her fabrics, I am sure she has used a lot of it. She hasn't complained about it not being any good. It seemed to be as good as any higher end fabrics. Not loose woven.

bkay 06-16-2018 04:33 PM

I just finished a quilt that had a lot of Moda in it. It raveled terribly. It had a good feel to it, though.

I've found that Waverly has a coarser feel to it. (I used it for a backing on my picnic qulilt.) I think it will hold up, though.

Kona is the one that bothers me right now. I've gotten three different grades/types of fabric from them recently. They are all black. One was so bad that I sent it to them to evaluate (it almost felt like a knit fabric). They said it was not Kona and to take it back. Recently, I bought some more black. It was fine. I was short, but my original store was out, so I went to a different store to get some more. (I would think that Kona should be the same everywhere.) They don't feel like the same fabric. One has a coarse feel like I expect of Kona. The other was smoother and softer.

I know that JoAnns and Hobby Lobby get a bad rap for Kona, but it has to be the Robert Kaufman company. Both of the retailers get their fabric from a distributor. In some cases, the same distributor. They aren't making or converting their own fabric. Either Kaufman has no quality control or they've lost control of the distributor.

bkay

lindaschipper 06-17-2018 03:12 AM

I have used some of the Waverly prints and solids from Walmart in my Project Linus quilts. Some are better than others in my opinion. I'd stay away from those marked 2.97 and go for the higher priced ones (3.97 & 4.97) as those seem to hold up better and not ravel apart.

patricej 06-17-2018 04:29 AM

the waverly print on 100% cotton (purchased at walmart, $4.97 per yard) i used recently seems a decent fabric for the price. it performed very well. didn't fray any more or less than some of the pricier "LQS fabrics" i have.

i did not care much for the solid black, though.
it changed shape when it hit it with a hot iron.
i do believe it's 100% cotton.
i just don't believe it's a value and won't buy their solids again.