Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Waves when hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waves-when-hanging-t277660.html)

Jingle 04-13-2016 04:45 AM

I made a wallhanging just like I make my quilts and had no problem with it.
Measuring through the center of the quilt is the method to avoid waves. I never measure the edges of the quilt, causes too much grief.

tessagin 04-13-2016 05:26 AM

I was shown to measure from the middle also. Side to side and corner to corner. I also don't do competition/show quilts

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7522056)
Measuring through the center of the quilt is the method to avoid waves. I never measure the edges of the quilt, causes too much grief.

carolynjo 04-13-2016 06:19 AM

Perhaps since you hand quilt one side and machine quilt other sides, there may be a tension problem. Block it before you sew binding on and measure, measure across the quilt in several places to make sure it is square.

grammasharon 04-13-2016 06:28 AM

I was having a problem with imagining how to do it until my DIL showed me and I use it all the time on potholders and small items now. Love it! Would rather use that than the double fold but guess it isn't double so doesn't wear well on quilts. JMHO.

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 7521440)
Are you still able to miter the corners if you use a single fold? I'm having trouble imagining that.Watson

ladydukes 04-13-2016 11:33 AM

I sew all of my borders into strips, then attach to my quilts. That way, I don't have to measure but one time in both directions. If you sew each border on separately, then you have to measure both directions after each border is added, leaving more chance for stretching, etc. My preference is mitered borders, so sewing all the borders together first before sewing onto the quilt works great. I just finished a quilt that had seven borders.

Vat 04-13-2016 01:02 PM

Do you starch you fabric before you start cutting? Also I put a sleeve on the top and the bottom of the wall hanging.
Also try not to over work your edges. Hope some of these help.

Lafpeaches 04-13-2016 01:31 PM

The ladies that work at my LQS said they use the batting called thermalom for their wallhangings because it's denser and they quilts hang flatter. I bought some and am going to try.

hobbykat1955 04-13-2016 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 7520852)
In addition to measuring the middle of the quilt to get the length of the borders, Marti Michell suggests that you may want to FMQ the quilt before adding borders. In addition you should cut your borders on the straight grain (parallel to the selvage) rather than cross grain (WOF) especially when the piece is going to hang. Before I add the borders, I make sure my sides are exactly the same length.

That could be the reason my last quilt had no waves because I needed longer then WOF and did cut on straight grain.

hobbykat1955 04-13-2016 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7522056)

Yes, I just watched several utubes...most show measure middle and sides but one showed only middle...I guess I'll be trying both in my next few projects to see what works best

maviskw 04-13-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7521999)
....good hints given, and maybe while you are machine sewing that binding on you are tugging a bit, thus putting some stretch in it and the border....just a thought

Tugging a bit is what you need to do. But don't tug the quilt, tug the binding. The measuring down the middle is for adding borders and is very important, but when you get to the binding, the quilt itself should be straight and the correct length.
I lay the binding on the quilt, lay the binding on it and tug just a little to be sure it is taut. Then I put my finger on that spot and sew those four or five inches. If you have WOF bindings, don't stretch too much. If you have length of fabric binding, you can stretch quite a bit. I haven't seen a wavy binding around here for years!