Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Waving from NY state...but not meaning to! HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waving-ny-state-but-not-meaning-help-t39788.html)

RatherB Quilting 03-16-2010 07:41 PM

So, I've almost finished a top with stack and whack kalidascopes. Because of the bias edges, my borders aren't sitting right and are waving at me from across the room...HI THERE...Is there a way I can curb it's enthusiasm and get it to lie flat and behave? Is there hope or am I going to be stuck with a top that is going to be a bugger to quilt?

littlehud 03-16-2010 07:49 PM

There is a way with spray starch. Do a search using spray starch as the search words and follow the instructions. It can really help.

k3n 03-17-2010 01:44 AM

Starch is a good idea but MAYBE (please don't hate me!) if it's really bad, you need to take the borders off and redo? Did you measure through the middle of the top when you did the borders? Are they one piece borders or pieced?

Jean Judson 03-17-2010 03:31 AM

I had a problem with that same thing. I spray starched the heck out of it and it helped a lot with some and a couple blocks were beyond help. Try spray starch. It will help.

RatherB Quilting 03-17-2010 05:52 AM

Sadly, the borders aren't the problem. It is the block that has the bias edges and is causing the problems and is making the border seem wavy. I didn't know if there was a way to tame the blocks...I figured starch might be involved. The borders are pieced and were cut to fit the 15.5 inch blocks. The blocks were great when I pieced them...but working with them to attach them all with the sashing and such, they sorta got bent outta shape. So, I will invest in some starch and force them to my will I guess.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-17-2010 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jean Judson
I had a problem with that same thing. I spray starched the heck out of it and it helped a lot with some and a couple blocks were beyond help. Try spray starch. It will help.

try the starch first.

Candace 03-17-2010 09:02 AM

If all else fails, you can do a very slight gathering stitch around the border edge where you'll put the binding on. You can do a large zigzag over a piece of cording, etc. along the border edge. Then you can adjust and try to gather in any fullness without creating major puckers or pleats.

k3n 03-17-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Sadly, the borders aren't the problem. It is the block that has the bias edges and is causing the problems and is making the border seem wavy. I didn't know if there was a way to tame the blocks...I figured starch might be involved. The borders are pieced and were cut to fit the 15.5 inch blocks. The blocks were great when I pieced them...but working with them to attach them all with the sashing and such, they sorta got bent outta shape. So, I will invest in some starch and force them to my will I guess.

If the starch doesn't do it (hopefully it will!) is there any way you can nip a bit more in on the relevant seams?

amma 03-17-2010 07:05 PM

Hot steam maybe on the bias edges, without pressing down with the iron...maybe that will shrink them back up a little?