Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Waxing quilting table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/waxing-quilting-table-t58986.html)

Nancylou 08-11-2010 04:06 PM

What kind of wax do you put on your sewing table for free motion quilting? I've never used wax on my table before, but feel like I need to. I am using Batik fabric. I've been practicing on a sandwich of muslium and it doesn't seem to glide very well. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks. Nancy

ckcowl 08-11-2010 04:15 PM

don't put wax on your table, you will get wax on your fabrics...
are you talking about the flat part of your sewing machine? or a table the machine is sitting on? there is a product...i will have to go look, see if i can find it somewhere it is a quilting...glider...it is some sort of (plastic,teflon,)material that helps you glide your fabric, but i think you just need to practice more, i don't know anyone who uses something to make their table slippery, we are usually trying to figure out a way to keep things from moving around on the table. but i really am unsure of just what surface you want to wax?

Lori S 08-11-2010 04:40 PM

I would not wax , but most "spray wax" has no wax! But they do contain oils.
There is a product called Supreme Slider it is 100 percent teflon on the top with a self stick bottom. It makes a big difference when doing Free Motion.

Nancylou 08-11-2010 04:43 PM

It's the table . Maybe I just need to clean it and I could use some more practice. That's what I thought about wax also. Maybe the quilt will flow a little better, the Batik is a little more smooth. Thanks for the help. Nancy

ghostrider 08-11-2010 04:47 PM

People use paste auto wax or Pledge (white can) on their extension tables with excellent results. Quilt Glide (it's a spray), like all "specialty products" is expensive, Pledge isn't. You can also go to a plexiglass store and get a teflon sheet the size of your table a whole lot cheaper than a Supreme Slider. You want silicone, not petroleum, based stuff.

quilterken 08-11-2010 05:00 PM

You can use dry silicone spray on your table. Get it from the hardware store. It also works when you are sewing thick fabrics or many layers. Spray on a bit on your fabric and the needles slips through - always test on a scrap

pocoellie 08-11-2010 05:20 PM

I use automotive paste wax, put it on, let it dry, polish off.

dgmoby 08-11-2010 05:41 PM

You can buy a cheap, thin piece of vinyl and lay down on your table, pinning it underneath the edges with a push pin (or perhaps blue painters tape), and that will help things glide. I had the same problem, and ended up refinishing mine, as it really caught the fabrics and they didn't slide at all. The vinyl provides a slick surface, and doesn't cost much. That might be something to try - then you'll know if it's the table or if you just need more practice.

Hope this helps :)

amma 08-11-2010 06:58 PM

Marine wax would work well too, and it doesn't come off of the table surface very easily either :wink:

quiltinghere 08-12-2010 02:49 AM

I think putting furniture wax on wood furniture would be okay...after all it's sprayed or wiped on and then wiped off till it shines!