Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which way to go fabric first or pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/way-go-fabric-first-pattern-t222482.html)

Lyn Hut 05-28-2013 06:49 PM

Which way to go fabric first or pattern

Hi

wondering which way to go look for fabric then pattern of pattern then fabric, sometime it just come to you but other times I'm not sure which way I should do it.

Lyn

quiltingcandy 05-28-2013 06:52 PM

I usually find the pattern first and the fabric follows - but I do buy a lot of fabric just because I like it, and no idea what I am going to do with it.

Dina 05-28-2013 07:03 PM

I think either way works....of course....but I tend to select fabric and then go looking for a pattern online. If I can't get inspired that way, I just reverse it. Not much help, am I?

Dina

Jbug 05-28-2013 07:22 PM

It really depends. Sometimes I find a fascinating pattern and then buy or find fabric to enhance it. Other times I get a fabric set I like and look for a pattern that will set it off well. My favorite is to design my own patterns, but even then sometimes I have the fabric first and others I go searching for the right fabrics.

mom-6 05-28-2013 07:52 PM

I've collected fabric for years before I started quilting. So mostly I have the fabric and figure out what to do with it.

Of course I see quilts I like and then put fabrics into the design and discover I need one or more fabrics I don't have. So it does go both ways.

Jan in VA 05-28-2013 10:06 PM

Both equally.

Jan in VA

icul8rg8r 05-28-2013 10:19 PM

Like others have said - both! I love to collect quilt books (especially love Kim Diehl's) - so many quilt patterns I want to make! But whenever I'm out & about I find fabric I just have to have and usually don't have a pattern. THAT's my problem - I end up buying so much fabric because I'm afraid I won't have enough & it will no longer be available once I decide on a pattern!

GrannieAnnie 05-28-2013 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lyn Hut (Post 6091201)
Hi

wondering which way to go look for fabric then pattern of pattern then fabric, sometime it just come to you but other times I'm not sure which way I should do it.

Lyn

More often than not, I see fabric I must have---------------then figure what design I want to use. But then there are special patterns like STORM AT SEA that I spent months looking for just the right fabric--------------and I've still not started on it.

charsuewilson 05-29-2013 02:14 AM

Either way works. I often have the fabric before I choose the pattern to use. But if I see a panel for a baby quilt, that may just be the quilt. I add borders and backing, which sometimes are purchased with the panel, but often, I know I have something at home that will work.

NJ Quilter 05-29-2013 03:28 AM

I usually find a pattern first, then get the fabric. I really don't have room for a stash and am terrified that after spending all that money on fabric 'just because' that my tastes will change and I'll not use it. I have a bit of a stash from left overs from projects but that's about it. It works for me.