Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This Is The Way I Choose To Make My Ideas Into Reality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/way-i-choose-make-my-ideas-into-reality-t287594.html)

Iona D. 04-17-2017 08:18 PM

This Is The Way I Choose To Make My Ideas Into Reality

5 Attachment(s)
My patchwork quilt blocks are coming along nicely. By applying sound sewing habits from years of working in the Los Angeles based “rag trade,” I have successfully combined both industrial & domestic fabric selection/sewing techniques into a rapidly forming rather fanciful potentially satisfying quilt top blocks you see below.

I live and work in Southern California. I source from any and all stores (not just fabric/quilt stores) and specialty shops around me. I don’t neglect any source as you never know what’s in their inventory at any given time. I use the simplest means of tools and techniques around. Here I use the 1 seam/5 Minute Flying Geese block. I am especially attracted to this method as the embossed-like folded up Goose piece is so quickly accurate to form and stands out so well without additional quilting. These are the 4 colors/patterns I use from saved remnants & bolt ends to make my idea into reality. This is who I am & what my creations will always proven to be-creations born from times of austerity (like my parent's Great Depression Of The 1930s & World War 2) to my own times of trial and tribulation. The first completed block in dark red & blue is simply a very rough draft or sketch of the completed top. The individual block units are the actual ones that will grace my daybed (about 65 inches by 85 inches) when completed.

Enjoy! :)

Iona D. 04-17-2017 08:25 PM

I will post the completed top at least by the end of the week. I still need to buy a top sheet from Target for the backing early next month. Then it will be ready to use for late Spring, Summer, and Early Fall hot weather use.

liking quilting 04-18-2017 02:19 AM

You've got some neat fabrics. Will be fun to see your finished quilt.

Bluebonnets 04-18-2017 02:31 AM

The flying geese look great and your fabrics are lovely.

QuiltMom2 04-18-2017 02:39 AM

I look forward to seeing the end result! Your fabrics sure are interesting and I like your "leave no stone unturned" attitude to fabric sources.

osewme 04-18-2017 02:50 AM

Howdy & welcome from Texas. Your flying geese quilt is going to be awesome! I'm waiting to see the finished product.

QuiltnNan 04-18-2017 03:16 AM

looks great so far

Geri B 04-18-2017 05:33 AM

Interesting approach to piecing. Very modern look, are you going to border?

Onebyone 04-18-2017 06:28 AM

I use to live in Huntington Beach. I have many of the one seam flying geese blocks. They are fast and easy.

linda8450 04-18-2017 06:58 AM

I live in AL now, but hail from Orange County CA. Didn't really get into quilting until I moved here, but have been sewing for 70 years! I love M&L in Cypress/Buena Park area, another I think in Fountain Valley. Wonderful selections and great prices, especially on bolt ends and cuts! Love your flying geese, not familiar with that method, love to learn it!